Friday, July 15, 2016

Yosemite Chronicles: High Protein Crunchy Granola

HIGH PROTEIN CRUNCHY GRANOLA

For a guided Ecuador expedition in 1995, we were instructed to prepare a batch of this granola. According to our trip leader, it would “make up one third of our morning meals.” In actuality, I lost track of how many breakfasts, snacks, and lunches were simply handfuls of granola.

Lest we neglected to add the expensive extras (raisins and walnuts), we were advised that those who added a little extra love to their granola were “able, towards the end of the trip, to exchange [their granola] for back-rubs with . . . raisinless/walnuttless members, some of whom engaged in morning granola fights.”

I made a double batch for my Yosemite trip. Since I would have no one with whom to exchange backrubs (or engage in morning granola fights), I permanently added (c)raisins and walnuts to the recipe. I also added salt, since it’s my favorite food. I subbed coconut milk powder for instant dry milk. Finally, I was out of vanilla extract, so I used almond. The modified recipe is as follows:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large baking pan, or Dutch oven, toast in oven until nicely browned:

8 cups rolled oats

Shake this mixture every few minutes; watch that it does not burn.

When oats are a nice toasty brown color, add:

1 C wheat germ
1 ¼ C sesame seeds
⅓ C coconut milk powder
1 C coconut flakes
2 t salt
1 ½ C sweetened, dried cranberries
1 ½ C chopped walnuts


Toast complete mixture for about five minutes.

Stir in:

½ C vegetable oil
1 C honey
1 T almond extract


Toast for five more minutes.

Remove from heat and store in loosely covered container.

Makes approximately 4.5 pounds granola.

Will I want to throw it at my campground neighbors before I’ve eaten it all? I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks to Doug Stufflebeam (RIP) for the recipe.

Follow along on Instagram @kasmirakit #yosemitechronicles

No comments: