Friday, March 02, 2007

Houndstooth Skirt

Black silk blend shrug, INC. Pink cami with tiered georgette layers, My Michelle (borrowed). Houndstooth pencil skirt, Express (thrifted). Black tights, Danskin. Black pumps, Etienne Aigner. Faux pearl necklace with medallion, Newport News.

Back in the early ‘90s, I had the most awesome houndstooth dress. The top was shirt style, with black velvet collar, cuffs, and covered buttons, and the bottom was a circle skirt. I don’t remember what happened to it, but I miss it, especially now that houndstooth is back.

All the girls rockin’ houndstooth on Wardrobe Remix finally drove me to the thrift store, where I found this skirt. Of course, I couldn’t try it on until I had bought it and brought it home. It fits, but I have discovered that I’m just not bold enough to wear a fitted pencil skirt in such an attention-grabbing print. To compound my lack of confidence, the pattern is matched up along one seam in such a way that it looks as if I may actually be bursting out of the skirt. I’m going to get one $4 wearing out of it today and put it up for swap.

On another note, I have two tips for you today:

1. If you can’t try a skirt or pants on before you buy them, wrap the doubled waistband around your neck. If it the ends meet, it should fit around your waist (your natural waist). Generally, your neck is half the diameter of your waist. Of course, this won’t hold true for everyone, and the trick is pretty useless with low-riding bottoms.

2. To create a French twist with a hair stick, first gather your hair into a low ponytail and secure with a clear poly band. Then, twist your hair up your head and tuck the ends under the roll. Spear the roll near the top with the hair stick. Most importantly: the stick should be at a slight angle, pointing AWAY from the roll, exiting on the side that you did the tucking. Then, pivot the stick TOWARDS the roll and spear it again, exiting near the bottom. The twisting motion (compounding the twist of the hair) is what will secure the hairstyle.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite look of the week! Very cute. :) I live in Cincy, too - what's your favorite thrift? I really like Village Discount in Newport, although I've had some good luck latey at Angel Fox in Covington (NOT a strip club, as the name suggests, but rather a thrift owned by the Snooty Fox lady).

Kasmira said...

I go to the Village Thrift store on Pippin (in Colerain) fairly often, but the staff is not so helpful. The Valley Thrift on Reading Road has dressing rooms now (bonus!). My new favorite is a new thrift store near the intersection of Colerain and Banning. Can't remember the name, though.
I'll have to check out your suggestions! I don't often cross the river into KY. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MissJ said...

I love the idea of your blog, you narcissistic thing you! Houndstooth skirt is hot, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Saw you in Cin and thought I'd check it out. Never knew you were such a fashionista.

Anonymous said...

nice stockings...

Anonymous said...

Nice Outfit.
The kind of "young, fashion-oriented business lady" you'd like to have round the office!
:)