Monday, October 11, 2010

The Great Piano Trip

Beefy and I spent the last 10 days driving across the country with an enormous antique piano. We took the scenic route, visiting family, friends, and restaurants featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Over the course of the trip, I wore:

2 dresses
1 tunic
1 button-down shirt
1 pair of leggings
1 pair of jeggings
1 long-sleeved tee
1 short-sleeved tee
1 knit vest
1 hoodie
1 lightweight jacket
2 belts
1 hat
1 scarf
1 pair of gloves
4 pairs of tights
1 pair of earrings
And my cowboy boots

Saturday

- Flew stand-by to Seattle
- Rode the light rail and monorail
- Visited Pike Place Market
- Watched people at a nearby park
- Ate at Ivar’s with a friend from work
- Visited the Space Needle


Sunday


- Ate at the Mecca Café (which isn’t on Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives, but should be!)
- Explored The Mediterranean Inn Hotel’s rooftop
- Picked up our 16-foot moving truck
- Checked out the state capital campus
- Witnessed a blind man move my piano onto the truck
- Met an old friend at Starbuck’s
- Picnicked (with Burgerville take-out) at my elementary school



Monday


- Played with my niece and nephew at Lake Sacajawea
- Ate at Pok Pok (our first triple-D stop!)
- Drove to Medford, OR
- Stocked up on car snacks at WinCo Foods


Tuesday


- Entered California (and the truck was inspected)
- Saw a skunk (well, Beefy saw it, but I smelled it)
- Was suitably impressed by Mt Shasta, Lake Shasta, and the Shasta Dam
- Ate at The Squeeze Inn (DDD)
- Watched the facebook movie


Wednesday


- Crossed the Sierra Nevadas
- Glimpsed Lake Tahoe
- Watched Beefy bet on the Reds at the Siena in Reno
- Ate at Dish Cafe (DDD)
- Slept in the armpit of America


Thursday


- Crossed The Bonneville Salt Flats
- Ate at the Red Iguana (DDD)
- Drove on US Route 6 from Spanish Fork to Green River – one of the deadliest roads in the country – during a torrential downpour
- Scored a room with a spa tub at the Green River Super 8

Friday


- Entered the Rocky Mountains
- Ate lunch at the Red Canyon Café
- Got naked in the back of the truck to change into my Blogoversary outfit
- Froze my ass off at Vail Pass
- Drove over the continental divide
- Ate at The Cherry Cricket (featured on The Best Thing I Ever Ate and Man vs Food)



Saturday


- Ate at Benedict’s with my family
- Made the longest drive of the trip (from Denver, CO to Manhattan, KS)
- Saw the giant Van Gogh in Goodland
- Defiled the Buffalo Bill statue in Oakley
- Ate some incredible pizza from Pizza Shuttle


Sunday


- Ate at Grinder’s (DDD and my favorite atmosphere of all the DDD locations we visited)
- Loaded up at the Brass Armadillo Antique Mall
- Pushed on through to St Louis

Monday


- Rose at 4 am to make it home for the appointment with the piano movers
- Stared in disbelief at the enormous piano now sitting in my living room
- Played said piano

Beefy and I had a wonderful time and will be taking more road trips in the future – minus the giant truck and huge-ass piano. A journey like this can make or break a relationship and I’m happy to say that we can both still stand one another. Thank goodness the two of us like singing showtunes and playing with the cameras.


If you'd like a more detailed account of the trip, visit Beefy's blog. He's doing a day-by-day chronicle of the journey.

Photos by Beefy Muchacho

23 comments:

Healthy and Homemade said...

Every single outfit was absolutely fabulous!! Looks like you had a blast. I love the Les Mis at the end ^_^

Jenna M. said...

Cute looks!

Style Explosion

-smatz- said...

This is the best post ever! So many pics!

Rebecca said...

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Kasmira! I LOVED this post. I found you about a year ago and upon realizing your in the 'Nati, I felt kindred. We lived in Cincinnati for three years and then moved back to Portland for another three years. Now, we're in Salt Lake City (no, we're not LDS...but artsy folk. My hubs is a sound designer for theater and film).
So... your post was really fun. Since you trekked through some country we too have been through, lived in, and visited.

Oh! And your outfits were really fun. I've got to score some cowboy boots!

Cheers.

-Beth

Monica said...

Okay, someone already stole my comment: Best post ever! Love the daily account of fashion, food and adventures. And I still have tears running down my face from Beefy slowly rotating the camera in a circle while you're singing. Soooo funny!

Charlotte said...

Sounds like tons of fun! I live in Utah and eat at the Red Iguana as often as I can. Yum! We did a weekend road trip to Denver and back a while ago and drove out the same way you did. I love that road; it's so beutiful. Though it's probably not as much fun with a moving truck.

Jodi said...

you even look so stylish traveling.. am inspired.. I usually just wear shorts and hoodie!! your hair is looking cute longer too!! great pics!!!
sounds like a fun trip!!

In Kinsey's Closet said...

Wow, Kasmira, I live one block from the Mediterranean Inn in Seattle! I know everything you're referring to in this post- love it! I'm glad you visted during our sunny days instead of the clouds. I hope you enjoyed Seattle! This post is my favorite for obvious reasons :0)

-Kinsey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some Colorado pictures! I lived there for 13 years and miss it a lot. I am now in North Dakota-- BOO!
:)

Rachel said...

Yuuum Squeeze Inn! The cheese skirt! GHAAA!

Leslie aka "MissusSmartyPants" said...

Can I say best post ever...AGAIN?! I guess I just did, LOL!

Great travel wardrobe...I really like Wednesday's outfit!

Question (sorry if you have answered this before WHY does you BF go by "Beefy"???

Keep stylin' girl!

The Adams Family said...

This was fun to read. I second what everyone else has said - great post. Loved how you remixed your outfits. They were all awesome, and it was fun reading about your trip. I think some bloggers try too hard to be something they are not to appeal to the masses, but you are just you ... and you.do.you.well!

Sheila said...

That's so awesome (and how much did I love you belting out "I Dreamed a Dream" from "Les Mis"?). My husband and I did a huge trip right when we were dating - we figured if we could make it through that, we could make it through anything.

Fab post!

Anonymous said...

love your Thursday and Saturday outfits and pictures!

fabulous post!

Kasmira said...

Beefy's name comes from his blog, The Beefy Muchacho. And the blog is named after his concept for a restaurant featuring a southwestern burger on a cornbread bun. Kind of convoluted. He calls me the Tofu Muchacha on his blog.

Beefy Muchacho said...

Oh lord no. Not where my name comes from at all!

I worked for a website hosting company where we needed to come up with a domain name where we could experiment with coding and whatnot. My best friend had an e-mail handle "Brawny Hombre". He created BrawnyHombre.com (no longer extant) and we thought it would be funny if I created something similar. I thesaurused the word "Brawny" and I just thought Beefy was the funniest one. I thus became the Beefy Muchcacho. It has since become the name of my blog, and AFTER that, I realized that "Beefy Muchacho's" would be an awesome name for a burger restaurant.

Whew. Glad I cleared that up.

Kellie said...

How FUN! I enjoyed reading about your trip as much as I did all your outfits! My fave is the blue dress, yellow scarf, boots combo.

Anonymous said...

You were in my hometown AND the town I live in now. WOW!

Londyn said...

What a fun trip!! I'm so jealous that you got to eat @ so many DDD places!!

Kerry said...

I love how you've repurposed a selection of clothing into all those outfits. Good inspiration for my next holiday!

kellie said...

Les Miserables. The first show I saw on Broadway .. *sigh* Good times.

Anonymous said...

Can I say that I am always impressed by your outfits, whatever the occasion?
xD