Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Highline

I seem to have unusually long shins. “Knee-high” boots almost never are on my legs. So, I was delighted when I discovered I could flip up the cuff of these Rampage boots for a knee-high look. (And in the boots younger, firmer days, they stayed knee-high, instead of slouching down to the top of my calf.)

I didn’t pay more than $20 for these boots and have certainly gotten good use* of them, but they are ready to be retired. The pleather is hopelessly scratched and I’ve just about worn through the soles. I’ve been searching for a replacement for years, concentrating on over-the-knee boots (in hopes that they will actually reach to my knee if not above) and discovered the Stuart Weitzman Highline boot. It’s currently on sale for $459 on the Stuart Weitzman site, but that price tag is daunting. Beefy asked me if I really want to spend “half a grand” on a pair of boots. What do you think? Are the boots worth it?


Shirt, Forever 21. Shorts, Dolce Vita. Tights, Forever 21 layered over We Love Colors. Boots, Rampage. Sunglasses, Target. Necklace, Heart Boutique. Blazer, Love Tree. Bag, thrifted.



*I found 50 of my outfit photos with these Rampage boots. Far too many to repost here!

12 comments:

thorne garnet said...

Listen to Beefy!

Anonymous said...

I'd say hold out! I'm sure there are plenty of quality over-the-knee options for more than half that price, and you've got quite the knack for finding a good bargain. When the time is right, the perfect boots will appear--no buyer's remorse required.

Anonymous said...

Stuart Weitzman are such high quality, they will certainly be worth the price per wear. And that style has been a staple of their line for years: so the boots won't look fadish or trendy. If they are within a budget you can work with, I think they are worth it.

Mrs.M in MI said...

I actually bought - and returned - a pair of Stuart Weitzman boots already this winter. I found them at a Nordstrom Rack marked down from $600 to $200. They were beautiful and perfect, but $200 is more than I usually spend so the first thing I did was take them to my cobbler to get the sole and heel protected.

Then the cobbler told me the soles were a thin, hard plastic he couldn't do anything with. What?!? Plastic soles on a $600 pair of boots? I have leather soles on my old pair of brown boots that cost me $80! (Dollhouse brand, by the way.)

I couldn't return them fast enough. So word to the wise: before you drop the money, make sure they can be repaired. Mine weren't High Lines, but now I'm suspect of everything.

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous and classic and a hard- to-find style for you. If the pleather boots lasted as long as they did, think of all the wear you'll get out of quality leather ones. You can obviously afford them or you wouldn't be considering them, so I say, yes, you should absolutely buy them!

BamaCarol said...

Well, if you can find 50+ posts with the old ones I would say you would get your moneys worth out of a really good pair. I have started going to quantity over quality on the things I would consider 'basics' and have not regreted it yet.

zinniacr said...

I thought knee high boots were a myth.Now I know it's been me and my damned extra long calves the whole time. I say get the nice boots if you can find a good price.

STAshworth said...

Fifty wears of the $459 boots comes to $9.18 per wear, which is waaaaaay more than I'm willing to pay per wear.

Laura who? said...

I don't know about the boots because I don't know anything about your budget, but I LOVE the layering of tights. You inspired me to start a stash of layerable (is that a word?) tights!

The Cheap Chick said...

Given how long you tend to keep your boots, and how often you wear them? Then yes, you should buy the boots. Think of how many wears you've gotten out of the Nine West boots! And the Miz Mooz!
Go. For. It.
...and people call me The Cheap Chick...oops...

Anonymous said...

Just looked at the style out of curiosity, and they're $328 on the Stuart Weitzman site - less than everywhere else!

Kasmira said...

I'm still seeing the $459 price. :(