Friday, January 31, 2014

Candidate for Slimming

I’ve started following a couple petite style blogs and all the clothing seems to be “shortened” or “slimmed.” Although I’m not petite, they’ve got me reconsidering the fit of some of my own duds. I’ve convinced myself that this dress (already shortened), would be more flattering if the skirt were slimmed to a pencil silhouette. I had the self-alterations mentally planned until I got home, took off the vest, and realized that the strapless bodice had slid to well beneath my bust. Now, I’m overwhelmed with the amount of “slimming” required and thinking of just donating the dress.


Vest, Urban Vibe. Dress, Bitten (shortened). Blouse, INC (thrifted). Shoes, Eileen Fischer (consignment). Sunglasses, Target. Earrings, Epcot Morocco. Bag, thrifted.


The skirt’s shape is a little more obvious without creative posing:


Unless you can convince me otherwise, I’m setting this dress free to find someone with bigger boobs and a love for straight skirts.

These are all the ways I’ve worn this strapless, plaid dress:

7 comments:

missthing said...

You've gotten some good wear out of this dress. If you feel it has found it's time to leave your closet and go to someone else's, donate it. If you think you would really wear it more, then keep it. I think it flatters you, but you do whatever you see fit.

Anonymous said...

When it comes to plaid I have a theory. On women they are attractive cut on the diagonal. The "boxes" are masculine. This is what works for me and I am 5' 10" so it is a consideration.

Anonymous said...

I am a seamstress who does alterations, and because the dress is plaid, it would not be a candidate for 'slimming'. The skirt is cut as a straight skirt because the pattern in the cloth demands it. Imagine the stripes meeting a different angles along the seam-line... too distracting.

DressUpNotDown said...

Oh that beautiful plaid will be missed! But if it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit.

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

I think you need to move on - a good point above about the pattern on the plaid. This is the dress that first inspired me to wear strapless over a blouse for work! Thank you for always trying new things!

Anonymous said...

You can always chop it off at the waist, add some elastic...and instant skirt! No fear of the whole thing heading South after that!

Anonymous said...

Do you have an ebay or etsy account where you list your items for sale? If anything, it would help to offset your 2014 new clothes budget. AKA - Powering the US garment industry, one skirt at a time :)