Friday, January 31, 2014

January Purchases

I set my clothing budget using the common guideline of 2% - 8% of my take home pay. This year, I’ll keep my clothing spending at $150/month. This includes most of the items you see on my blog, but excludes workout gear, undergarments, and hosiery. Let’s get started, 2014!

Crossroads Trading Co.

I told a local about my first visit to Crossroads and she said, “Where are you from? The moon?” Apparently, Crossroads, a local resale clothing chain, is well known and loved. I can see why!

1. Ethnic scarf, $6.50.
2. Native backpack, $12.50
3. Red bebe blazer, $7.50. I think this is a fake Bebe jacket. Although why anyone would go through the trouble to fake Bebe is beyond me. (I love me some slutty Bebe, but it isn’t usually well made.) This jacket is probably of better quality than real Bebe.
4. J Crew mint tweed mini, $15.00.
5. Diane von Furstenburg silk zebra dress, $18.50


Goodwill

6. Gray bag, $2.50. Beefy says this is a bowling bag, but I say it is a bowling style bag. It isn’t big enough to actually hold a bowling ball.
7. Turquoise sweater, $2.50
8. Levi’s denim shirt, $4.00. This shirt is great. It’s fitted enough to button up and tuck into a skirt, but also has a nice shape to wear open, like a jacket.


My Sister’s Closet

After going way over budget last year, I banned myself from My Sister’s Closet. I had become so accustomed to averting my eyes as I walked by the storefront that I passed it by a few weeks ago before remembering: “It’s January! It’s a new year and a new budget!” And I found another treasure.

9. Chaus Jeanswear red and black buffalo plaid skirt, $12


Thrift Town

10. Plenty by Tracy Reese Glasbury plaid skirt, $2.99. The Diane von Furstenburg was a score, but this skirt was a coup!


Renaissance

This is a fancy consignment store full of designer duds. Most of it is too rich for my blood, but I do like to browse the sale rack.

11. Da Nang silk camo pants, $25.00. I know you can’t tell from the photo, in fact you can’t even tell from a few inches away in real life, but these pants are the smoothest, dreamiest, matte silk. If only my uniform camouflage pants had been made from this fabric (and not starched cardboard-stiff)!


January total: $108.99

Total spending for the year: $108.99

Remaining 2014 budget: $1691.01

What was your favorite purchase this month?

8 comments:

Anne said...

The Glasbury Plaid Skirt is my favorite! It is stunning!

Unknown said...

Wowee, good work! I just moved back to Sac and have been trying to figure out how to attack the thrift store scene. Nicely done, for sure!

Laura said...

Wow, your Crossroads Tradings must be a lot better than ours (San Jose area). Ours are full of college student duds and American Eagle sweats. Definitely no Diane von
Furstenberg!

Kasmira said...

It is near the Fair Oaks area where homes are nicer and incomes higher. Maybe that explains it!

Cindy said...

I love that bowling bag!

Anonymous said...

So many things to love! And all under budget too - my favorite kinds of great finds! If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be that Tracy Reese skirt. It looks fabulous on you!

~J

Londyn said...

WOW - that red blazer and plaid skirt are amazing!

Red said...

Ohhh Thrift Town, I do remember thee! I found the best stuff there. It was really overpriced in the early 2000s when I lived in Sac, though--the influence of that evil late 90s thrift store gentrification trend--"everything old is worth $573,645,573!" I see they have come to their senses. Excellent! Maybe I'll head up there sometime for a return visit.

Do you ever go to the old midtown Sally Army? I used to find interesting antiques there, like my old 30's couch which I shall keep forever (even if it's been in the shed a while...)

My favorite thrift pieces recently: a couple of amazing pashminas for two bucks a pop, an art-to-wear patchwork velvet jacket, a (real!) Kooba black leather purse, and (really) the exact Le Sac leather crossbody bag that a friend of mine had just purchased in another color new. Now she has two! LOL