Thursday, January 15, 2009

Because I Don't Have a Car

Dress, Lani. Blazer and earrings, Forever 21. Tank, Charlotte Russe. Long-sleeved tee (under tank), Bitten. Tights, Target. Boots, Nine West. Ring, Rafia & Bossa.


I, like many others, am tightening my belt and trying to spend less. This IS a new dress, but I have an excuse: I don’t have a car.

My car broke down in early November and it will cost more to repair than it’s worth. (Not to mention that I’ve already poured money into it over the last few years.) I’ve been creative with getting where I need to go on the bus, my bike, or foot. When I went to my friend’s holiday party in December, I rode the bus there and brought cash for cab fare to get home. Luckily, I scored a ride to Clifton (and onto my regular bus line), so I saved the fare. However, my ride let me out in front of Panagea and I couldn’t resist spending the cab fare on a knit vest I’d been coveting. When I got home, I realized that the vest was unflattering and saved the tags and receipts to return it. Panagea only takes back merchandise for exchanges or credit, so I had money to burn in the store. With my vest credit, I bought this dress, a bracelet, and (another) pair of feathered earrings. And I still have $4 left! So, the only reason I have this dress at all is because I don’t have a car. I’m trying not to feel bad about buying it.

These are the earrings I bought at Forever 21 on Boxing Day. I had a couple of requests for a close-up, since they were hard to see in an earlier post.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the dress!

Kim said...

The dress is amazing.
And I've come up with some good excuses for new clothes but I must give you credit for the creativity you used with the no car justification - and I wholeheartedly agree. Except I'd also be buying something new every week with the gas money I was saving.

*kate* said...

i love that dress!!... like i tell everyone for buying new things i use the excuse "i'm trying to help the economy" :)

Audi said...

It was meant to be. You can't fight fate.

Aziza said...

How fabulous! I love the color palette especially :)

Unknown said...

I love this outfit! The dress is so pretty, and I love the color choices you made for the whole outfit. The shades of purple and green and brown just go so beautifully together.

MUG said...

That dress is gorgeous!! And looks absolutely amazing on you!

Credit Cruncher said...

Great outfit I have just got rid of our second car which means one car between five people.
Hope I fare as well with my car loss as you!

Katy said...

Nice dress!

The Cocoa Goddess said...

Adorable dress, but I think I liked your reasoning for buying it even more :)

Londyn said...

What a good deal - return one vest and get a bunch of other stuff instead!

Candice DeVille said...

You wouldn't happen to be a lawyer would you? There is nothing like a shoppers ability to justify themselves. And you've saved on gym memberships by getting free exercise too. Well done!

Tamia said...

I love using the "I don't really drive/don't need a lot of gas money" excuse.
As a matter of fact, I just used it to buy some new trousers from ASOS.com!

Chris said...

Love the story behind the dress! And love the dress, too :)

Feather earrings have always intrigued me, ever since I wore them as a younger person back in the 80s. I'm glad to see they're making a comeback. Yours are especially lovely...

Tabitha said...

That dress is so adorable. Loves it!

kct said...

I just wanted to says that you look VERY Sexy in that dress! It looks great on you!

Patt said...

I am doing lights and sound for "Barefoot in the Park" for our local community theater. and you?