Friday, January 09, 2009

Waistless

Black top (kind of like a vest, but not really), Forever 21. Striped turtleneck, Gap (via swap). Velvet dress, NY & Co (shortened by me). Tights, Target(?) Lace-up pumps, Isaac Mizrahi for Target. Hoop earrings, Nine West. Patent purse, thrifted.

Others will disagree, but I really like a loose silhouette through the torso. Sure, I’ve got curves, but some days I’d rather let things hang loose. I like how the focus then shifts to the neck, arms, and legs. My personal rule for an A-line or tent silhouette is that the limbs and/or neck must be exposed. I violated the rule earlier this week, with somewhat frumpy (but oh so warm and comfortable) results.


You can see how loose the silhouette is in the side photo. And one can always “create” a waist with the hands on the hips pose.

Still photographs don’t easily capture movement. When I wear a loose outfit, I use lightweight, swingy fabrics, so that some shape is revealed when I walk. You’ll just have to use your imagination and trust that I don’t look completely waistless today. (Oh, but my video camera is coming soon. I am so excited to branch out into moving pictures!)

14 comments:

Kim said...

I love this outfit; I love swingy and loose! And I have that same Gap shirt.
I'm so excited about the idea of What I Wore Today videos!!

Katy said...

I LOVE this outfit! I am all for a looser silhouette - sure, women have curves, but that doesn't mean we should have to wear tight stuff all the time! I love the stripes/diamond combo.

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

This looks absolutely beautiful!!

Cennetta said...

Hi Kasmira,

Love your blog. Lots of inspiration for my own sewing projects and wardrobe.

bekster said...

Normally I would subscribe to the "must show curvs" camp, but this actually looks really nice. Maybe the trick, though, is that you have to have a nice figure in the first place to get away with not showing it.

I love the way the stripes look with the hoop earrings.

Sarah said...

I agree with the other posters, this is beautiful on you. The colors are rich and bold, and I like your combination of fabrics. Bravo!

Cathryn said...

This waistless outfit is definitely a winner. I like your rule about keeping neck, legs and/or arms bare for this silhouette. I'd never thought of it like that, but I think you're right. And even though I like to show off my waist, I do wear the occasional waistless silhouette.

Kelley said...

While I was in Japan I noticed that the girls' fashion had a lot less emphasis on a tiny waist or curves and a lot more emphasis on legs. The focus is shifted, like you said. So maybe your outfit is just kind of Eastern today!

Ben Varkentine said...

Very cute!

lorrwill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayleigh said...

I was really trying to analyze this outfit, and here's what I think:

Since your body is well balanced to begin with the relative loosness of the clothes don't make your limbs look disporportionate.

Also, the faux wrap kind of effect of the dress still draws some attention to your waist, or at least what can be glimpsed of your waist, and I think that helps too.

You've got me thinking it might be nice to try different silohettes & shapes sometimes -- great outfit and great topic!

50sgal said...

I LOVE those shoes and I could wear them here in 1955. Could u just pop those in the time machine for me and I can give them a spin around the living room with the Kirby. Nice blog and CUTE clothes.

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

What an inspiration! I love that your outfits make you look like a million bucks but on a small budget. Keep up the great work. You're giving me some great ideas for my look.

kct said...

I really like your outfit. I must admit that I am a 'Leg-Man' and I think that those patterned tights make your legs look VERY Sexy!