Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Sincerest Form of Flattery

Blazer, Forever 21 (via swap). Cami, Deep by Los Angeles. Skirt, Mossimo. Shoes, Miss Me. Necklace, World Market (adorned with a brooch from Burlington Coat Factory).

I’m totally smitten with and jealous of Ally’s flower necklace. This was my attempt to capture a bit of its statementy, flowery essence:


I’m all about creative brooches use, but this is the first time I’ve pinned one to a necklace. I’ve seen Audi do it and the combination was also suggested in a recent issue of In Style. I suppose the idea finally rattled around in my brain long enough to come spilling out again.

While I was looking for the link to Audi’s post, I found Already Pretty’s “how to” entry on making an entire necklace of brooches. I’m copying her next.

I’ll claim the idea of using a brooch to nip in the waist of a top as my own, though. I was so flattered to see other wardrobe bloggers borrowing my trick.

(It's probably a bit difficult to see here, but I have a small, pink brooch gathering the material at the back of this blazer for a close fit.)

7 comments:

Natasha said...

Love the necklace. Very pretty.

Alaskangal B said...

Great Outfit, I love the soft green and that brooch on a necklace is a great idea.

Amber said...

I have never had much use for brooches, but the necklace and fit improvement ideas both are fantastic.

Next time I see vintage brooches for a good price, I wont' be so likely to pass them up!

Also, that green satin top is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! Look forward to seeing your take on the brooch necklace.

And say, can I hop on your blogroll? You've been in mine for ages.

Audi said...

Funny, I've had both your 'brooch-at-the-waist' and Sal's brooch necklace idea rattling around in MY head for ages. One of these days they'll turn up over on my blog. LOVE today's outfit, by the way -- the soft green with the striped jacket strikes the perfect note for spring.

Ally said...

Love this! When these pics popped up via Flickr in my Google Reader I got all excited about your necklace. Now I see how you did it - I can do this too!

Thanks for loving my necklace :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a pretty outfit, i must steal it...
:)