Sunday, May 03, 2009

Unglamorous

Jersey cardigan-type-top, Forever 21. Long-sleeved tee, Bitten. Jeans, Calvin Klein. Shoes, Nine West. Earrings, Claire’s. Belt, swap.

This probably comes as no surprise, but working backstage is decidedly unglamorous. One of my favorite tasks each night is disposing of an actor’s half-eaten pickle. It’s put both of us off dills.

I’m on stage between scenes to move props, so I’m supposed to dress in all black. I don’t have enough black clothing, so I’m mixing in a little dark purple and indigo and hoping no one can tell with the lights down low. Pay no attention to the woman with the pickle!


Actually, pickle duty is a piece of cake compared to fog-making. I’ve worked the fog machines a few times and was never very good at it. There’s a fine line between setting a mysterious mood and causing a white-out on stage.


Pickle girl, at your service.

10 comments:

Laura said...

People like you are the reason stage managers like me always have extra black clothing with us! :-P Break a leg!

Stephanie N. said...

Yeah, i'm with Laura. If you were one of my students, I'd make you pull something black to wear from our costume stock. ;-) Looking as cute as you do can be distracting!

I'm pretty strict about it, because the one time that I let a student wear something interesting (not all solid and matte black) is bound to be the one time when some emergency comes up that requires them to go onstage under full lighting - like helping an actress get the hem of her dress out of a track it got stuck in when a piece of scenery rolled over it, while everyone is continuing to perform the scene as if nothing is wrong... yes, it really happened, except that I was the student at the time, not wearing proper stage blacks. Ugh!

My most enjoyable backstage experience, though: applying the fake bruises to the back and chest of a HANDSOME actor before each performance. Also something that happened while I was a student. I think I blushed every time I had to touch him.

grace said...

I actually really like this outfit. It's super cute.

Kendra Taylor said...

Luv the belt with that top...so adorable! ~Kendra~

Unknown said...

What if the belt buckle catches the light?

Londyn said...

I really like those little ballet flats!

Mervat said...

Choke, Choke! Thoughts of that fog linger in my mind! ;O

YankeeClipper64 said...

This outfit IS super-cute...even though it may not be completely suitable for working backstage :) --- By-the-way, your hair looks really nice in the photos (no kidding).

emily said...

i love how you say you don't own enough black to create a whole outfit out of. most people have too much black!

Layla said...

Love the belt buckle too!! :)

/& have also wondered if it doesn't catch light?/

Looks totally glamorous - love it!! :)