Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fake a Waist

As a short-waisted, small-busted gal, I’m a fan of the empire waist. However, I’ve found that a wide, fitted band below the bust (but above the natural waist) works best to elongate my frame without losing shape. This dress lacks definition below the bust, but I can add it with a wide belt.

Cream dress, vintage, thrifted, and shortened. Turquoise dress, Moth. Tights, We Love Colors. Peeptoes, Steven. Belt, some department store. Brooch, The Beaded Garden. Ring, Jan Michaels San Francisco. Bag, Nicole Lee. Binder clip, work. Coat (below), vintage.

I took inspiration from two prior outfits to create today’s ensemble.




Part of my deck (the overhang) collapsed under this winter’s snow.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the wonders of belting!

Lorena said...

OMG.... lovely colors.
I have tried to elongate my short self this way before but, I end up looking like I am pregnant...

jennschmerer said...

L-O-V-E this outfit! I too, play up the bust and elongate the waist with a belt like this often. We small-busted gals need all the help we can get! :0)

Draft of Vintage said...

Such a great outfit! Love the belt and the blue with the red- they look beautiful together!

anythingreen said...

hey kasmira, random question. i'm rehearsing for "oklahoma!" right now, and i need a good kiss-proof lipstick. what do you use for your plays? you always wear beautiful lipstick....

Audi said...

LOVE this outfit! Great mixing of neutrals with the vibrant colors.

Kasmira said...

anythingreen - for my last production, I wore Covergirl Outlast All-day Lipcolor in Ever Red-dy (#507). I was very happy with it. The stain is a liquid that you apply with a sponge-tipped wand and then, after that dries, you top it with a solid gloss (really just a stick of silicone, I think). It DOES NOT BUDGE! Be sure to exfoliate before applying, especially if you are using it multiple days in a row or times in one day. It does dry out your lips and repeated use without exfoliation will result in red "crumblies."

I also SWEAR by fake eyelashes on stage. They really make your eyes pop. You won't need any other eye makeup.

Sabrina said...

Buddy, you are freaking adorable! I like your hair, also. Probably my favorite of your lifetime. So jealous I can't see you at the family get together.

anythingreen said...

thanks so much!

Rosie Unknown said...

Neat colour combination! I like it.

Londyn said...

Oh no! Your pretty overhang fell down :(

On the upside, you look beautiful! I love this outfit combination.

Anonymous said...

I have the same dimensions as you! I too love a belt under the boobs, it is a miracle worker!

Still loving the blog :-)

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

I absolutely LOVE this outfit! The color combo is beautiful, and the brooch is the perfect finishing touch!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com