Thursday, September 02, 2010

Dye, Dye Again

Not all of my dye adventures come out as expected. I took an off-white denim vest from the U•turn Swap with the intention of dyeing it a darker color. I treated it with RIT Dark Green dye and got….


70’s denim blue.

I can think of two possible explanations for the unexpected color:

1. I didn’t leave the garment in the dye bath long enough (I made a timing error and the washer started draining after 15 minutes instead of the recommended 30), so the blue dye penetrated but the yellow dye didn’t.

2. Magic.

I’m leaning towards explanation #2.


Vest, Old Navy (swapped and dyed). Dress, London Times (hand-me-down). Scarf, Gap (I think). Shoes, Colin Stuart. Bag, Franco Sarto. Earrings, Jana’s Designs.



I may try to dye it dark green, again, and defeat the gremlins.

Photos by Beefy Muchacho

14 comments:

lizzle said...

I think it looks great in the blue! I'd notch it up as a happy accident =P

Collette Osuna said...

I like the magic mistake....great outfit!

Unknown said...

I like the second reaon as well! The outfit looks great either way :)

Unknown said...

I am really interested in dying a few things in my closet to give them a new life. Do you have any tips and tricks to share???

Melissa said...

Defeat the gremlins! Although I do like how you wore it in blue too. But green is my favorite color so yes! Try that again! :)

Monica said...

Schneider! You look great.

Rebecca said...

The blue looks great. A very happy accident!

Chelsea said...

oooh I love the blue! you are really impressing me with this dye business. i have this white skirt that I wanna try dying now!

Lynnea said...

I like the color it turned out.

Emerge with Style. blogspot . com said...

The vest looks cool. I liked how matched the shoes to the pop of green in the scarf. Nice mix of color and patterns as usual. Hav you ever though about going into interior decorating b/c you have a great eye?

Kim said...

Hmmm...I just today bought a dark green Rit with the intent on dyeing a tan shirt. Now I'm very curious as to how it'll turn out but anything will be better than tan.

Kasmira said...

Emerge with Style - I confine the interior decorating to my home...it is decorated to the gills!

Kim - you never know with dye!

Bhushavali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bhushavali said...

Loving the dress' pattern and its styling and the scarf so much...
The Shirt Dress to Office