Friday, March 18, 2011

Glacier Girl

Once upon a time, I was a big fat hippie and spent summers volunteering with the Student Conservation Association. The summer of 1997, I worked as a naturalist at the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Alaska. I wore a “pickle suit,” rode my bike everywhere, and drank a lot of Alaskan Amber.

Now, I’m a total sell-out, but I still have the bracelet I bought that summer depicting the legend of the Raven and the Sun. When I wear it, I fondly remember my northern adventures with the Glacier Girls (and Boys).


Blazer, vintage. Blouse, Forever 21. Skirt, Talbot’s (thrifted). Pumps, Oh Deer! Tassel, Epcot Morocco. Arrowhead pendants, thrifted. Bracelet, G Chilton.




Photos by Beefy Muchacho


Our 1997 crew, as drawn by Shawn R.


4 comments:

Madeline Quaint said...

You even make that pickle suit (this is a new word for me! :D) look cute! It certainly proves that a smile is the best accessory!

And I love shirts with a ribbon closure at the neck, great one!

My Heart Blogged said...

I'm glad you attached a picture. I was like what is a pickle suit. That's awesome you volunteered with them. It's must have been an awesome experience.
My Heart Blogged

Anonymous said...

Admiring the tassel in your present day outfit. And the lace up boots with your pickle suit.

ponchmor@nauticom.net said...

All that running you do is paying off, your legs look fabulous!!