Friday, September 21, 2007

September Brights Mix

Turquoise top, A Byer (thrifted). Black, lace-edged cami, New York & Company. Red rose-print scarf, flea market in California. Black skirt, Moda International (bottom half of a skirt suit, goes with this jacket). Yellow pumps, Victoria Spenser. Gold-tone necklace, Body Central.

I haven’t worn a brights mix since February. I thought it was time, once again, to wear a bunch of random colors.

I read in Lucky and then on You Look Fab that one can remove marks from patent leather with nail polish remover. I was a bit skeptical, but thought I’d try it on my yellow patent shoes. The second time I wore them, I stepped on my own foot, leaving a black streak on the yellow patent. I tried removing the mark with soap and water, windex, patent leather conditioner, and my fingernails. None of them budged the streak. A cotton swap dipped in nail polish remover was the most effective, but it didn’t completely remove the mark. However, it didn’t damage the shoe’s finish, either, so I’m mostly satisfied. (I wonder if I would have had better results with a nail polish remover that had a higher percentage of acetone.)


Before, Me and My Arsenal, After

7 comments:

WendyB said...

I love that color combo! Funny, I was searching high and low for my yellow patent shoes today. I'm sure they're hiding here somewhere.

Londyn said...

I love that necklace! I will have to check out Body Central again.

I also am a promoter of nail polish remover -- I use it for all kinds of random stains (hair dye particularly!) and it always works!

Anonymous said...

I have gotten black marks off of shoes with a pencil eraser before. I wouldn't rub too hard though.

Anonymous said...

Lighter fluid is the way to go to remove scuffs. Takes is all off every time.

miss *ann said...

cool shoes.

Anonymous said...

I used hairspray to remove blue pen from white leather(and from a white skirt)... worked really well. As always, test in an inconspicuous place first!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog and find it delightful, educational and fascinating. I remember my Mother saying that vaseline will take scuffs off patent.