Sunday, February 01, 2009

Recession Challenge: Notions and Trim

If you suspect most of What I Wore Today’s recession challenges will be of the crafty variety, you’re right, but I know you can handle it. Your responses to the January challenge proved that you are a crafty bunch! I’ll have a recap post up tout de suite with links and pictures to the DIY brooches.

February’s challenge is to add a little extra to an item in your wardrobe with a notion or trim. For example:
- Add a fun trim to the edge of a skirt
- Change out the buttons on a staid blazer to a set imprinted with skulls
- Punk up a t-shirt by adding zippers to the sleeves
- Iron on an appliqué

Depending on how you choose to embellish your item, little to no sewing skills are required. I’ve had good results attaching trim with Hem ‘n Trim. (It’s sold in the drapery department at Hancock Fabrics.) All you need are scissors and an iron to use the product. And anyone can sew a button on!

As you complete the challenge, either leave me a comment or send me an email. If you blog about your creation, send me the link. If you’re not a blogger, feel free to send a picture and/or description and I’ll include it in the final round-up at the end of the month.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

What a great idea!

I'm afraid I didn't rise to the last challenge (although my visit to the bead store did mean that one of my broken pieces of jewelry will be getting fixed). I will give this one a shot - I added fringe to a jacket and lace to a dress when I was a teenager, so I've done this sort of thing before.

LindaLou said...

Oh, what fun! I didn't do the last challenge either, but I was inspired to do now. I've added lace to the edge of a white jean jacket b/c I had to shorten the sleeves and I liked the femine touch. I love your blog.

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I'm on board. Check out my link: http://riange.blogspot.com/2009/02/recession-challenge-notions-and-trim.html

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I embellished a pair of black flats earlier this month. Check them out - http://fabfindsunder50.blogspot.com/2009/02/diy-embellished-flats.html
These challenges are such a fun idea!