Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Let's Dance

I’ve lived in ten different cities since leaving home for college and managed to find a ballet studio with adult classes in almost every one.

In Juneau, I biked into town to catch the last few classes of the season. In Phoenix, I performed in the studio’s production of Coppelia, en pointe. In Okinawa (Japan), the camp liaison called studios for me until we found one that would take an American, English-speaking, twenty-five year old student. (Most of the lesson was in the traditional French, but with odd pronunciations and the occasional Japanese word.)

So far, though, Sacramento has been a bust. I haven’t found an adult ballet class I like, yet. The first studio had scant parking. The second was all barre, no dance. I need to try a third.


Jacket, Mossimo. Dress, Donna Morgan (consignment). Shoes, Nine West. Sunglasses, Coco Sunglasses. Brooch, vintage. Bag, Aldo.


I started ballet, at age eighteen, with no prior dance experience. At twenty-two, I was excited to go en pointe with an adult class at Evergreen Dance Studio, in Longview, Washington. I went on to perform in toe shoes, twice, but much prefer soft slippers. Still, the pointe shoes are dramatic!

3 comments:

sp said...

I enjoy hearing about these things you do that are so inspiring! Because of your encouragement I started jogging and in 2 years have lost 25 pounds and completely re shaped my body! I took dance classes all during my childhood but was too afraid to get back into it at the age of 45! Well guess what I am going to do next? Thank you so much for sharing this part of your life! SP

Kasmira said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear of your success. Dance on!

Anonymous said...

You truly are inspiring! I was expecting to scroll down and read how you had been dancing since you were 6.

Lovely dance photo, as well as outfit photo.

~J