Sunday, June 14, 2009

Surprise


Striped cardi, Old Navy. Tee, Steve and Barry’s. Skirt, Chaus Sport (thrifted). Sandals, Franco Sarto. Earrings, No Boundaries. Pendant, thrifted.

Londyn and I went thrifting a few weeks ago and this was one of my prize finds. (Actually, all of my purchases were scores; it was an amazing thrifting day.) I am in love with the ridiculous butt ruffles. The pleated strips are sewn to the skirt along the top edge only, so they swing as I walk. This skirt seems so preppy and clean from the front, but is a naughty surprise once you see the back.


Sorry for all the larger size pics today. I just want to be sure you can see the ruffles!

I realize I’ve been remiss in explaining the inspiration behind my new hair style, so here’s the lowdown:

My natural color is a silvery, ashy blonde. It’s the sort of color you can’t decide is blonde or brown. As you’ve probably gathered, I have a dramatic flair and a wishy-washy hair color doesn’t suit my tastes.

I’ve gone red off and on over the past ten years. I love the way it looks, but the maintenance is a nightmare. Because it fades so badly, I have to recolor the length each time I do the roots. The constant lifting and dyeing is really hard on the hair shaft. Add my thrice weekly swims in a heavily chlorinated pool and the humid Cincinnati summers and I’m struggling to keep my hair presentable. I babied the hell out of it (washing only 3x/week, deep conditioning under my swim cap, sleeping on satin pillowcases, no heat styling, etc), but the condition continued to deteriorate. It had to be cut.

I began following Sara Millionaire’s blog last fall and fell in love with the short, platinum ‘do she had at the time. (She has since transitioned into a brunette pixie style.) In December, when I named her as one of my Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style Rock and Roll Blogger Girls, I said I planned to copy both her cut and color the next time I chopped my hair. After that, it was all just a matter of timing and this June seemed to be a good time to do it.

I LOVE my new look. I’ll admit I was hoping to appear edgy and rockerish, but ended up more mod or gamine. I don’t think that’s the fault of the cut, but more a reflection on my facial structure, body type, and demeanor. Maybe I just need to work on my haughty pout. Or buy some black leather.

24 comments:

LaShaune said...

skirt is super duper cute and I just love the cut/color!

Rosie Unknown said...

I love the way your outfits always have some little detail that take them from neat to fantastic!

Stephanie N. said...

Love the butt-ruffles. They're adorable.

Candycane said...

Love the ruffled skirt AND your new haircut .. although I did love the red!! :)

grace said...

I love the hair! I think if you want it to be more edge and less mod, you may need to go shorter and more jaggedy with the bangs, though.

Jess said...

LOVE that skirt!

CindyinSC said...

I'm glad you got custody of the cats! And the house. I'm painting my dining room Golden Cricket after I found your kitchen pics on the web. So inspiring!

Audi said...

That skirt is adorable, and WOW, love the new haircut! I haven't checked my Google reader since the middle of last week, so imagine my surprise when I clicked to your blog and saw a short-haired blonde looking back at me! I love that you changed it so radically -- it's great to do that every so often.

Nana Erin said...

I *prefer* larger pics!~ And LOTS of em!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness!! Look at you rock your hair!! Its absolutely gorgeous, everything about it, love it.

Passion4Fashion said...

I love the do. I have been having a similar problem with my hair. I was hoping for more edge but do to my hair and face shape, Rihanna I have not achieved.

myrubyslippers said...

Love the skirt. It's so flirty. And you may want to try jagged bangs for a more edgier look.

By the way, I'm very sorry to hear about your separation but despite all that it didn't stop you from inspiring us with all your fashion ideas. Thanks Kasmira.

Carol said...

You look gorgeous! I love the new hairstyle.

i_b_erin said...

I totally love the butt ruffles..go shake your tail feather girl!!

As a red head (enhanced due to ehem...gray's) I know the maintance...esp swimming is hard on colored hair. I too had to take a double look, but you are beautiful inside and out..no matter what your hair color is.

I suggest..black leather ;)meow!

Kari said...

Love it - SO fun! I love the new cut and color. The cut still looks edgy to me because it's such a piecey cut.

I'm curious to see how what you wear might change based on your new 'do! My whole color scheme changed when I went from blonde to red. (My natural color is a light brown/dishwater blonde, but semipermanent red fades pretty naturally, so fortunately I don't recolor too often.)

Unknown said...

I could never imagine you as rockerish. You're CUTE all over, inside-out! And you play it well :)

SHOEGAL said...

I'm getting used to the new hair - it was such a shock when I first saw it yesterday. I loved the red, but this looks great too and if you love it then that's the main thing. It would totally suit a 1920s cloche hat for the winter I reckon.

Alaskangal B said...

Butt Ruffles are uber cute.

Mervat said...

You are looking fabulous despite (or inspite of) your personal turmoil. Good on you for continuing to inspire us and for maintaining your commitment to your blog. I am also guessing that the blog is providing a good distraction...at least I hope so.

Much love to you,
xo

Fab. butt ruffs!

Mishy said...

i'm a silent fan of your blog and i love your new hair. it's a shock at first to get long hair cut off, i did it not too long ago myself, but it's so much easier to style and care for. you look great! i wonder if i could go blonde?

lrsboulder said...

I thought your new 'do looked Sarah Millionaire-ish. It is more Jean Seberg than Debbie Harry on you, but that's a good thing!

Londyn said...

I like lots of big pictures! More to look at :)

It would be fine by me if you always showed big several big pics!

Unknown said...

your hair looks fantastic! I love it! I like the fact that you look more gamine than rockery........beautiful.

Fashion Trend Guide said...

It looks so cute on you!