I’ve been fixated on the idea of the perfect gray cardigan for years now. It’s that cardigan that goes with everything, is appropriate for every occasion, and makes you look fabulous. I can’t help it, every time I enter a shop, I’m on the lookout for the gray cardis. Could this be it? Is this the holy grail of gray cardigans? As a result, I have a few of them in my wardrobe.
1. Things started off with the gray cardigan (with a detachable faux-fur collar!) from New York and Company. Then someone commented that it was too bulky and I cast it aside.
2. Very soon after, I found another, lighter, knit at Wet Seal and declared it “perfect!” But then I noticed that one side grew to be longer than the other and continued the search.
3. I found a cute gray Bitten cardi at Steve & Barry’s, but there was only an XS left. I bought it and wore it only twice because it was truly extra small.
4. The next one, from Pangaea, looked to be perfect and had pockets to boot! But the fitted shape, while great with jeans, didn’t work with my a-line skirts.
5. Then (oh, this is getting ridiculous), I found a light-as-air cardi with chiffon trim at Wal*Mart. It’s pretty, but not quite structured enough.
6. I ordered an adorable, scrunched-sleeve cardigan from Forever 21. It is a perfect fit except that I can only (barely) button it across my chest. There is no chance of buttoning it around my hips.
7. Lastly, I bought a short-sleeved cardigan from TJ Maxx that looked great in the dressing room but has disappointed me at home.
The saddest thing of all is that I don’t even have a mental picture of this “perfect” gray cardi. I’ll just know it when I find it.
The holy grail madness has begun with navy cardigans as well…
1. The Merona swing cardigan is, perhaps, a bit too swingy.
2. The Sparrow cardigan is a hair too big.
3. The Limited cardigan…oh, wait! Stop! I’ve found the perfect navy cardigan!
Now if only that came in gray.
What are you searching for?