Monday, January 07, 2008

Schoolgirl Navy

Gray sweater, NY & Co. White lace blouse, Newport News. Tartan skirt with tulle detail hem, Tulle. Gray fishnets, Merona. Gray slouchy boots, White Mountain. Brooch, thrifted.

Every once in a while I do something really dorky with my daily wardrobe, like a theme week. I’ve done a green week and one inspired by an In Style layout. This week, it’s all about navy.











I used to be terrified of navy. To my way of thinking, if I committed to one navy item, I’d have to buy navy shoes, a navy bag, and navy jewelry, at the very least, in order to incorporate the color into my wardrobe. I bravely bought my navy and white Merona wrap dress last spring and found that I didn’t need another single navy item to wear with it. I gradually became braver, buying more navy items, including my favorite: a navy swing cardigan (again, from Merona!) I’ve mixed navy with every color but purple. Even navy and black is nothing to shy away from. Finally, just a few weeks ago, I bought my first pair of navy shoes. They’re sandals, though, so you won’t get to see them until spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That sweater really kills that outfit (and not in a good way). I'm not sure I even like the boots with the skirt, but I think with a shorter, better sweater, it might be ok. And there's just too much pattern: fishnets, slouchy boots, plaid skirt with an add tulle fringe, textured blouse, brooch, frumpy sweater. Where is the focus of the outfit? It's certainly not navy blue, because 1. there's more grey than anything else, 2. I can't actually see a blue that is true navy blue. I don't think any of the clothes actually belong in the same outfit... ACK! Most of your outfits are pretty good, but this one, is, well...definitely not.

Anonymous said...

geesh, edith sure feels strongly about this look. i love the skirt, especially paired with your new gray boots, but admittedly, i've never been a fan of your gray cardigan. it's kina boxy and overwhelms some of your looks. but keep it for casual wear, cuz it sure does look warm and cozy.

kct said...

Excuse me for butting in here, but I have to say that Edith is total wrong. I like the outfit. Once again, I think that you look pretty and sexy!