Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Touch of Whimsy

How do you define your style? Labels have been on the mind of wardrobe bloggers lately. S wonders if her style could be called “preppy romantic.” The Clothes Horse contends that personal style is a moving target. By the time we’ve pinned it down, haven’t we moved on to something new? I’ve definitely moved on from the “corporate look” that defined the early days of my blog.

Vest, Julie’s Closet (the twin of my brown one). Dress, To The Max. Belt, thrifted. Dead Old Lady shoes, Van Eli (thrifted). Headband, Urban Outfitters. Necklace, Anthropologie.


I struggle to describe my own style. I used to favor the term “eclectic,” but perhaps “whimsical” would be a more accurate descriptor. Eclectic whimsy?

My most interesting style experiment was to try each of the ten styles in The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style. I came away from the project with an interest in Bohemian and Rock and Roll looks.

Grey Gardens arrives at my house tonight (via Netflix). Maybe Edie Beale’s style will give me a clue about my own.

17 comments:

emily said...

i love the sleeves of that dress! this is an adorable outfit. :)

~Corey said...

Please don't start wearing skirts on your head. Then you could be like Edie and define your style as just a bit crazy. ;)

Rosie Unknown said...

Love the outfit! I was inspired by your theme weeks, so I am doing one of my own this week.

hillary said...

whimsical romantic. (yours)

Mine?? erm. not sure I can define it myself (too close to it)

Stephanie said...

I'm new to your blog & I love it! I like the term "eclectic whimsy", I think it fits you well! I also like the term, "dead old lady shoes". I'm a size 10, so I usually just have to walk by and admire those great shoes. You are so lucky you can wear dead old lady shoes!

Sheila said...

This is so pretty - I especially love the back detail on the vest.

I don't know how to define my style - it changes so frequently.

Diana said...

I absolutely love that vest, and I think eclectic whimsy describes your style very well.

Anonymous said...

Fab. I've got a couple of these drapey vests, too, and never even thought to belt 'em.

Kim said...

I feel like I'm a complete style schizophrenic. I can go from grunge to total prepster in the blink of an eye and it's always been that way for me. In the past it used to bother me, that I couldn't decide on any one thing I liked, almost like an clothing identity crisis, but now I think it just allows me more options depending on my mood. You've played a big part in inspiring me to put more effort into it, however. So thank you!

A Fashionista said...

I really like this vest!

Katy said...

The colors and draping are super, and I love the headpiece!

bekster said...

I think you are classier than what I think of as "whimsical"... I'd say you have successfully combined Bohemian and Rock 'n' Roll (with something of your own that is greater than the sum of its parts).

Just out of curiosity, what does your husband think of your looks lately? Compared with the earlier "you," you have changed your hair, you look thinner/more toned, and you seem more confident overall (though I always thought you looked great before anyway). Has he given you much feedback on your changes?

Kasmira said...

bekster - Mike and I are no longer together, so I don't know his thoughts on the changes.

Nana Erin said...

This is SUCH a pretty look on you!

FashionAddict said...

I love this outfit! That dress is a gorgeous color/style.

Londyn said...

You have so come into your own unique style in the last year. I love it - whatever you decide to call it :)

Doanh-Dalena said...

This has got to be one of the cutest outfits I've seen on you!