Saturday, August 29, 2009

Urban Cowgirl

In the 80’s, my dad wore a fanny pack. He called it a “waist bag,” which always translated to “waste bag” in my head and I imagined it full of trash and worse. Whatever the name, a pouch buckled around one’s middle was so uncool – even more so if your dad wore one.

Twenty years later, the hands-free nature of a hip bag has new appeal. Of course, it needs to be made of leather, not nylon, and have a more structured shape than the saggy fanny pack. This updated version has a sort of urban cowgirl vibe.


Blouse, Urban Renewal. Dress, Giorgio Fiorlani (thrifted). Boots, Playhouse. Hip bag, Happy Cow. Owl earrings, self made.


No waste around my waist!

6 comments:

gina said...

Great outfit! I love those boots. Does your lipstick match the pink of the dress?? Fun!

Sheila said...

If I had a waist bag like that, I would probably wear it out shopping.

I really like that ruffled blouse - very cute on you.

We called them bum bags in the 80s. I am guilty of owning one - I used it when I did the marathon or if I'm doing a really long walk and don't have a jacket with pockets on. Guilty!

Lorena said...

I love the bag -- when I began to read the post I thought it would be one of those black nylon ones - I hate those! (even though they are so convenient)
When I see them "fanny packs" it makes one look tourist-like, wrinkles your clothes AND makes that part of your body sweat like crazy!
But, this bag is another story... :o)

vic said...

I love the bag! I never in a million years would have thought I would like anything remotely close to a 'fanny pack' but this is so chic and different! Nice post!

jennifer said...

I LOVE the bag! It reminds me of the one Fiona wears on Burn Notice. I've actually been looking for one - where did you get it?

Kasmira said...

jennifer - I bought the bag via etsy, but you can also buy it directly from the Happy Cow website: http://happycow.com.au/