Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dress Stalking

I stalked this dress. I saw it in a magazine (Glamour?) this weekend and knew I had to have it. Purple, ruffles, feather print…what more deliciousness could be packed into one garment?


When dress stalking, one must be very, very quiet. Here, we see this number in its native habitat. The dress’ natural camouflage can make it hard to pick out from the background. The determined shopper, though, will spot it, bag it, and bring it home.

Dress, I Heart Ronson. Headband, Forever 21. Necklace Steve and Barry’s. Pumps, Pulse. Cuff, Pangaea.

I Heart Ronson is carried by JC Penney and I quickly located the dress on the Penney’s website (along with a navy and purple striped cardigan of the same brand). Repeated mouse clicks failed to deposit the items in my bag and I was confused until I noticed small red letters telling me that the items were “unavailable.”

I fretted about my frustrated purchase for a day until someone suggested I find it at a brick and mortar store. To my delight, I found that one can do search the stock of local stores through the online item page! The dress and cardigan were in stock at the Stone Creek Town Center store. I cadged a ride up north and now they are mine, mine, mine!


This isn’t the first item I’ve tracked down from a magazine. It also took web searches and multiple store visits for me to find this leather jacket (Wilson’s) and tartan dress (Bitten) after they were featured in magazines.


Ah, the thrill of the hunt!

26 comments:

gina said...

Great dress! I love those shoes with it. The photos look good with the purple background. Congrats on your 10 pointer.

Gienah Ghurab said...

Oh, that's not fair! Now I want that dress! (And the plaid one, also.) ;D

Sheila said...

Wow, that's dedication! What a gorgeous dress. You can just send that my way when you're tired of it! :-P

GimmeGimme128 said...

Your style is so brills - I love the idea of photographing your outfits! (i am doing a similar blog to this one, but what I wear is usually a side-attraction hehe) My cousin initially showed me your blog; she and I fell in love - you are quite literally a little bit of each of us, from what we can see in these pictures!

feel free to check out my blog!

Instantd said...

That dress is fantastic! So worth it. :D

Ping said...

Those heels go really good with that dress too! It's like that dress was there just so you could have something to match those ostentatious shoes to! :D

Anonymous said...

LOL at your cute description of dress stalking! Stalking dresses is pretty much what I do all day :) Glad you finally landed your hands on this one, it looks great on you!!

Jan said...

Wow this dress is just a sheer thing of beauty. You pumps are perfect with this. great look...as always

The Magpie's Daughter said...

The work was worth it, it's a gorgeous dress! I love the way you have two layered necklaces with it too. Great look. ;)

Melanie said...

I love the dress! The sleeveless cut makes it perfect for summer, and the colors/pattern make it great for layering in colder weather. The colors look amazing with your hair, too.

K said...

That's a great dress and it looks perfect on you!

Anonymous said...

Stalking items from magazines can be SUCH a chore. Glad you were able to track down this fab frock!

WendyB said...

Fabulous dress and excellent stalking work. Makes me think of Elmer Fudd. "Be vewwy vewwy quiet..."

mariel said...

ooo i love the colors of that dress! who would've thought that jcpenney would be a super fashionable destination...

Lorena said...

Haha, I hunt down stuff too... on line, onsite, you name it. Most of the time I find the stuff but some items do get away........ :(
Great dress the colors suit you !

Timeless Fashion... said...

These are very nice pumps!

Chocoholic said...

Aaargghhhh, I need to return a dress I bought at Penney's and now I'm going to be looking for this one. I found a better dress for a wedding than the one I bought at Penney's yesterday. I'm also going to be in the Cincy area this weekend for a family reunion and again in two weeks for my cousin's wedding so if I can't find it by me, I may stalk it down there, too.

Audi said...

Holy smokes, that dress is brilliant on you! You certainly know how to choose your quarry!

maryeb said...

I am very impressed with your hunting skills. You've snagged some fabulous pieces. Thanks for the tutorial :0

smalltownchic said...

Love your dress and what a great shot in front of that wall!!!


www.smalltownchic.com

Londyn said...

Oh wow - LOVE LOVE... Add that to my "I need to borrow" list :)

B/C Changeover said...

I love that dress! Gorgeous colors, and so pretty on you.

Chocoholic said...

Well...I returned a dress last night to Penney's and had filled out the survey on their site so I had a 15% off coupon. This dress was on sale so I bought it. After the sale and the coupon, it was less than the amount I got back from returning the other dress. Yay!

CRibbits said...

I <3 that dress too! I didn't styly stalk it though, I just saw it store and fell in love. I wear it more as a jumper though. Soooo cute.

Unknown said...

I saw that dress on your blog, loved it and bought it. It is great and so affordable too!! I wore it last for my 6th year anniversary with my boyfriend. When he saw me he was SPEECHLESS! LOL

Lorena said...

Hi, I used a picture from this post---
I bought a blouse with the same print as your dress- because i saw it on you :)
http://myeverydaywear.blogspot.com/2013/04/copy-cat.html