Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Pony Express

Did you know the Pony Express was only in operation for 19 months before it was replaced by the telegraph? It’s such an iconic, old West institution that I assumed mail was run by horse from California and back again for many years.


Jacket, BCBG Max Azria. Shirt, Mossimo. Skirt, Outlander (thrifted and gifted). Tights, Me Moi. Boots, Joe’s. Earrings, Pangaea.

Another interesting fact: Pony Express riders could weigh no more than 125 lbs. Those were some tiny men. In fact, they were “young, skinny, wiry men not over eighteen.” I couldn’t be a Pony Express riders for many reasons, including the fact that I’m not an orphan.


I ended up in a Pony Express rabbit hole after this bit of graffiti inspired me to research the Fulton Avenue portion of Sacramento. It’s claim to fame seems to be that the Pony Express route crossed this area.


I have to assume that the life of a Pony Express horse was not kind, so I’m glad we have the telegraph internet now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these little asides you take! I never knew any of that about the Pony Express! When I first saw the title, I was almost expecting maybe chaps and a cowboy hat, but this looks more chic.

~J

Erin said...

Those tights make every outfit awesome! Love them!