Thursday, August 28, 2008

Duckling

Satin blouse, Forever 21. Skirt, from my USMC Dress Blues uniform. Maryjanes, Two Lips. Belt, Xhilaration. Feathered hair clip, made it myself.


I spent most of adolescence and beyond as an “ugly duckling.” Whether others saw me that way, I can’t be sure, but I thought myself unattractive. For a few years, I refused to smile in photos at all. Instead, I made funny faces so I wouldn’t have to face my own painful attempt at prettiness. I still remember the first time I saw a photo of myself I liked, when I was nearly 22. At first, I thought it was a picture of my pretty younger sister. Then I realized it was me and that I’d finally grown into my funny features. Do I think myself a swan now? No, but I’m certainly better feathered.

Still making faces at the camera

Detail of the feathered clip I made with a hairdresser’s clip, craft feathers, and a glue gun

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a bag of feathers in my hand the other day at Jo-Ann etc. with making a hair clip in mind, but then wasn't sure what to secure them to. I have been feeling the need for some feathers in my hair lately and especially after seeing Kenley on Project Runway rock them so well. Thanks for confirming my thoughts that this can be done.

As for you outfit - I love the bright yellow belt with the dark skirt and top. You look lovely, as usual.

Sheila said...

You're a lovely woman. :)

I also went through the ugly duckling thing - I didn't feel good about my looks until well into my 30s, sadly. I look back at myself in my childhood and think that I wasn't as ugly as I thought I was.

Crafty with the feathers - woo hoo!

Katy said...

Black and yellow are awesome together.

Anonymous said...

I can understand your feelings. I have felt that for most of my life(and still do really). But, I think you are fabulous. No ugly duckling genes that I see. Gorgeous and stunning! I would give my right arm to have your body and wardrobe (how do you stay so slim by the way?!). And I wish I had the guts to go red as you have, it looks so glam and hot on you!!

Jane said...

The colours of those feathers go so well with your natural colouring.
It is much more satisfying to go from ugly ducking to beautiful swan rather than vice versa!

Southern Helle said...

"Skirt, from my USMC Dress Blues uniform."

This made me laugh... and then start thinking about what I could do with my ugly old Class A skirt from my Army days.

Kasmira said...

roadtripper8 - see what I did to my "army" green skirt from the service uniform:
http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/2008/03/opening-day.html

second city penny pincher said...

love your feathers such a unique touch :)

Sami said...

I absolutely LOVE the way your hair looks in these pictures! That clip is very darling and chic! I thought you bought it, but you made it yourself, you crafty girl!

Gervy said...

I would never have guessed you felt like an ugly duckling - you are such a swan these days. You always look so attractive as well as being stylishly dressed.

Your post struck a chord with me though - I also felt very ugly during my late teens and early 20s (I actually had body dysmorphic disorder). Still have trouble smiling in photos, I think my face looks very awkward.

WendyB said...

I vote for swan now. Definitely.