Thursday, August 07, 2008

Shroom

Cardigan, The Limited. Cowl neck shell, Worthington. Strapless dress, Newport News. Tooled leather belt, thrifted. Pumps, X Appeal. Bag, Franco Sarto. Earrings, World Market.

I went through a mushroom phase in the late nineties. Not the psychedelic kind. I’d go mushroom hunting with a field guide and entertain myself by identifying various fungi. I was only brave enough to eat my spoils once. While I was working on a trail crew, my teammate found a big, fat, juicy mushroom and we identified it as edible. We sautéed it in butter and downed it with dinner. I spent the night in anticipation of agony but it passed uneventfully. Still, the terror alone was enough to return me to a strictly academic identification of wild fungi.



8 comments:

Tell her what she's won said...

Great outfit and good story. Love those tones with your hair. Especially the belt.

I especially liked the seemingly "non sequitur-ish" juxtaposition of the foraging story about mushrooms with the "buttoned up" outfit on it's way to work in downtown Cincinnati. I am equally complex!! :-)

Leslie said...

2 different Leslie's commenting back to back--how confusing is that??

Anyhow, I never would think of wearing a full blouse on top of a strapless dress but it works! This outfit looks so classy and nice on you--2 thumbs up!

Jessica said...

Love the outfit!

Oh, I love, love, love mushrooms. We have mushroom festivals here. Seriously. People hunting for the biggest morel they can find. Oh, if you roll them in flour and sauté them in butter, mmmmmmmmmmm.

Kelly said...

I don't know how to say this without sounding sarcastic, but I think that sounds like the coolest hobby!

Jane said...

I hadn't realised it was the strapless dress again. It looks great and that thin belt makes it all so elegant.

Katy said...

I adore that bag!!! I have one in a avery similar shade of brown that I use all the time. It's probably about 1 fifth the size of that though. The outfit all together is great!

The Cocoa Goddess said...

Great outfit today, particularly love the cowl-neck - one of my favorite necklines!

Angie (youlookfab.com) said...

You know I feel about cowls. Love them! A great sophisticated look.

http://www.youlookfab.com/2008/07/24/convert-to-cowls/