Saturday, July 20, 2013

Twenty Years Different

My 20-year reunion was my first, and I was beyond curious to see how different everyone looked. As excited as I was to see the changes, I was also worried about remembering names. I prepped by reviewing a yearbook before leaving Sacramento.

Surprisingly, most people looked the same! Faces remained mostly unchanged. Body types stayed consistent. I shocked myself by remembering many names (first AND last).

I was most interested to see how hairstyles (and color) had changed. A few folks had the exact same hairstyle I remember from highschool! Honestly, it looked good on them then, and it still looks good on them now. At least two ladies told me that they didn’t color their hair (pretty unusual for 38-year-old women). But then there were those that had made dramatic changes. One long-time brunette (I’ve known her since grade school) was blonde and it confused me every time I saw her. The real redheads were no longer as fiery, but there was a group of new (faux) redheads (including myself) to brighten the group. The men weren’t as interesting, but, predictably, there were a few who had lost all their hair and at least one who sported a new-to-me shaggy mane.

Finally, there was one man who was completely unrecognizable. In fact, he looked so unlike the boy I remembered, that Beefy and I consulted the yearbook when we got home and concluded that he was an imposter. Why anyone would crash a high school reunion in Longview, Washington is beyond me, but maybe he was a spy. Or he has assumed the real Ryan M.’s identity so that he can go to space, like Ethan Hawke in Gattaca. Or maybe he crashes reunions like those guys in Wedding Crashers, hoping to score. I’m sure there is an exciting story, there.

No one seemed surprised by my appearance (or accused me of being an imposter), so I’m going to assume I look just like my 17-year-old self (although with different hair).


Dress, Parker. Belt, thrifted. Shoes, Prabal Gurung for Target. Sunglasses, Girlprops. Earrings, California State Fair. Bag, Apt 9.




Photos by Beefy Muchacho

6 comments:

Londyn said...

Love it! Yes, same but so much more dramatic now :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was fun. And you looked great for the occasion! I'm loving all the ways you're finding to remix that dress - definitely a good purchase!

If you find out what the whole imposter thing was, please let us know. That just sounds really kooky!

~J

Lorena said...

I did not attend my own high school reunion... and sometimes i beat myself up about it.
I think you must have certainly turned heads - you look pretty much the same if you ask me ... the biggest difference is the hair and of course the marvelous outfit.

Anonymous said...

You wore your wedding dress!! Fabulous! You look great and I am so happy you had a great time too! Seeing how people change over the years is always fun!
sp :)

bashashhazbaz said...

you look so amazing! :)

C said...

yup....you look the same...