Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I Hate Polyester

I went shopping on Saturday with my birthday money and was reminded of why I hate the mall. Or rather, why I hate fast fashion. It was all polyester, polyester, polyester. I’m willing to pay more for silk and wool and wandered into more upscale stores looking for quality fabrics. All I found was more polyester.

I seem to have more luck with secondhand clothing. This silk dress came from Consignz and the silk shirt was cut from a dress I scored at a swap.


Jacket, FANG. Shirt, INC (cut from a swapped dress). Dress, Banana Republic (consignment). Boots, Nine West. Bag, Charming Charlie.



I’m also a big fan of cotton and leather. The jacket, although purchased at a junior’s store, is 97% cotton and gets two thumbs up from me. I just had these nine year old leather boots resoled and hope to get another nine years of wear from them. The purse is plastic, but I’m not as particular about materials that aren’t actually worn on the body.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite agree with you and cannot understand why most fashion companies both cheaper and high end, insist on using so much polyester. Wool cotton and silk are renewable resources whereas polyester is ultimately derived from oil, which is polluting and will also run out one day. Polyester makes no sense environmentally or aesthetically but I guess fashion manufacturers continue to use it because it's cheap (for now). However, every time I see a pretty dress or blouse and then see that it's actually made of polyester, I feel like I'm being taken for a ride!
MsSixty U.K.

Sheila said...

I agree with MsSixty up there - I always look for natural fibres as much as possible. I do find some good polyesters out there (particularly in handmade clothing or vintage), but I have so much wool, silk, cashmere and leather and it's way cheaper than fast fashion!

Anonymous said...

Count me in too - hate most polyester! I have found a few nice pieces that are somehow knit much better, and thus feel better, but only a handful. I also have an unpleasant skin reaction to wool and cashmere, so that really limits my wardrobe choices in the winter.

~J

jessica said...

Ugh, I'm with you on that one! Thank goodness for thrift shops (I also sew/knit my own clothing) A couple years ago, I remember it was possible to find a 100% wool coat at Banana Republic ... now? Everything there is blended to shit with polyester, nylon, acrylic, etc. ... and then they dump in 3% cashmere and call it a cashmere blend coat. Yuck. They're slowly turning me off buying new clothing for good! At least from big retailers!

Marie R. said...

I usually shop thrift stores, but I wandered into a high-end store the other day and was shocked to find nothing but polyester and more polyester. It seems like such a low-end fabric to me. Very disappointing - I wanted some wool, silk, or at least 100% cotton pieces.

JavaChick said...

Agree 100%. I have the most finicky, sensitive-to-fabric skin you can imagine, and polyester and I do not get along. :(

Unknown said...

I HATE 100% cotton with a purple passion.