Monday, September 15, 2008

Super Kawaii

Waistcoat, H&M. Sweater, Body Central. Cami, Halogen. Skirt, Tulle. Peeptoe pumps, Charles David.

I’m not really happy with how this outfit came out (too layered), but I love the pose. I remind myself of Super Kawaii Mama. She just oozes confidence in every photo.

I took ballet at the Tomaki Dance Studio while I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I was the only American (and only white girl) in the class. I would converse with the other students using mostly hand gestures and silly facial expressions. They constantly told me I was “kawaii.” The compliment always made me duck my head and mumble an embarrassed thank you. Surrounded by those tiny, nimble dancers, I called myself “the great white whale,” and thought I was anything but cute!

Ah well, fake it until you make it, right?

10 comments:

Sheila said...

I really like this outfit - especially the yellow and plaid together. Maybe the black lace cami is a bit much.

GeminiJulia said...

I probably would have done the same thing by layering under the sweater so as not to flash people every time I moved or bent over or something. Maybe a more neutral color next time? or a different color waistcoat or vest? I do like the combo of the gold & blue/grey.

ericaJ said...

ooo! I love this! so cute! and I love the belt over vest idea!

Karen T said...

i love everything about this outfit. i think you layered it perfectly.

grace said...

I really like this, especially the sweater. I think you're being hard on yourself today!

Katy said...

I like the outfit, but I LOVE the skirt and the shoes.

Erica said...

I too like the belt over the vest...but love the blue mary janes. I think I need to go find some of those. :)

bekster said...

Actually, I think the layering is good. The colors make it work, I think. You managed to pull of "school girl" and "perfectly sane legitimate adult" at the same time.

clsoetofsara said...

I'm totally loving the blue and yellow! I think you totally pull off the layed look, but I'm not a huge fan of the black lace cami peeping out. Like someone said before, maybe a different, more neutral color??

Candice DeVille said...

You certainly look Super Kawaii to me! I think the outfit is perfect, we have to do a lot of layering here in Melbourne and you'd fit right in. And thank you so much for the kind words. :)