Friday, March 20, 2009

Stick Twist

How many of you long-haired lasses have been in a situation where you’d do anything to get your locks out of your face but there isn’t a clip or a rubber band to be found? Maybe you forgot to bring a fastener when you showed up to work at a lab or your hair swings into your eyes every time you lean over to pick up the baby’s carrier or you unexpectedly spend an afternoon at a windy seaside. Long hair is lovely, but I'm ready to chop it all off when it gets in the way.

I’ve prepared a 90-second (okay, 91-second) video on how to twist long hair up with nothing but a hair stick. Your hair must fall to about your shoulders or longer for this to work. This isn’t an updo for a big event, but rather a very utilitarian twist for those times when you need to secure long hair and you’ve got nothing but a pencil.

Please note: I misspeak in the video. You will rotate the stick 360 degrees, not 180.

17 comments:

Jillyb34ns said...

I have been wondering how to do that for YEARS!!! THANK YOU!

I just discovered your blog today, I love it!

kiran said...

I'm going to try this! you're so wonderful on camera!! maybe some more videos?

Kendra said...

Fabulous vid Kasmira!! I don't have long hair (I wish), and when I did my hair was always too thick to do this, but yours looks so lovely, great job!!

Milly said...

I've never done that..will have to try it

dodo said...

Bravo bravo!! love your hair video, thank you so much!!

Candycane said...

I have to try this when I'm at work and can never find a bobble/clip etc!

Thanks :D

Carla said...

Great video! I have some hair sticks but haven't gotten around to use them yet. Now I'm inspired, thank you!

Christy said...

Awesome! I have long, thick, curly hair and a newborn...lots of bending over and no time to find a clip...I just tried this out with a pencil and it's working!

Have you ever made a video of your chi chi wrap? I've tried it out but am hopeless with step-by-step instructions...vids are so much better.

Stephanie N. said...

I have tried it five times, and I have come to the conclusion that my hair is just barely not long enough. :-( Maybe I'll try it again in a few months.

Thanks for the video! It's fun to hear your voice.

J said...

SHE SPEAKS! It's just like (that sultry voiced actress whose name I can not recall and no amount of Googling is helping me with.)!

Anonymous said...

I've tried similar updos before, but I've found that my hair needs to be slightly damp to stay up with just a hairstick, because my hair is too straight and slippery when dry. But I guess that just saves me the trouble of blowdrying. :)

Gosia said...

Thank you so much :)) :))

Mervat said...

You have just taken me back 10 years when I was supervising a science lab at uni. It was a hot dy and I used a long-handled mixing spoon in a science lab to make a similar bun in my hair!

Kim said...

I've tried this before, with varying degrees of success; the video was really helpful and now I'm hopeful.
You are so darn cute - I hope you decide to make more videos too; it's like a little added bonus to an already fun part of my everyday blog reading.

Sheila said...

This is an awesome tutorial - and how cool to hear your voice!

I figured this one out about 10 years ago when I had long hair; I was always fiddling with it while I watched TV (I also figured out how to do a French braid). I used a pencil then.

Ping said...

MUH PUH

The Magpie's Daughter said...

I've always wondered how to do this! :D