Thursday, March 26, 2009

PUYV: Stone & Gray "Soft"

Blouse, Forever 21. Skirt, Moda International. Peeptoes, Wild Diva. Earrings, Girl Shop. Flower brooch, Newport News. Bag, No Boundaries (yup, Walmart!)


Accent colors: lavender, blush, peach, and sky.


In Style’s “soft” stone and gray example

Initially, I was a little stumped with this palette, so I went though my closets and pulled out everything in gray or the pastel accent colors. I found I had gobs of gray and plenty of soft pink. I have some light blue clothing, but none of it is really pale enough to be called “sky.” My two lavender items (a tunic and a cardigan) have long since been culled from my wardrobe. (They made me look anemic.) And who wears the color “peach” anymore?

Looking through my blog history, I tend to pair my grays with bright colors like red, orange, and fuchsia. Pastels with gray remind me too much of my style in, oh, say, 1984? For some reason, everyone wanted to dress the little blue-eyed blond girl in the softest shades. I OD’d on pale colors by 6th grade and began shopping in the boys’ section to avoid anything remotely pastel. (The bib and sleeves on the pictured dress are actually a very pale pink. Blech.)

So, I plan to cheat a little on the Stone & Gray mixes and accent my neutrals with colors a bit more intense than the pastels. And you won’t see more than the barest smidgen of lavender.


You may notice that, in the last picture, the car in the background is gone. My neighbor Jimmy, and his entire family, exited their house via the front door and caught me taking pictures. I was mortified and hid until they had driven away.

A previous Stone & Gray “soft” look:

26 comments:

The Cocoa Goddess said...

The blouse's gray is really nice with your hair and skintone. But I comment today because I love your purse! I saw it yesterday, as matter of fact, in red patent, but at a moderately expensive shoe store. I'll have to check out my local Wal-Mart to see if they carry it up here!

Passion4Fashion said...

Love LOve what you have done with this outfit and the colors. (I admit that I am a grey girl lately. I love to use the pops of color with it.)
I need to find those shoes and purse to add to my wardrobe! Too cute!

Alison said...

That was a perplexing suggestions of color combos wasn't it? I do like your pairings of brighter accents with the grays. Love the blue shoes with the grays today. Nice soft pairing.

Sheila said...

Yeah, not a pastel fan. Love the pop of brighter blue on you.

That's a hilarious story about your neighbours - why I will not be doing any photos in public for my blog!

Anonymous said...

i think the blue still works as a sky blue -- a bright, sunny day sky! (the kind i wish we would get soon!)
and that bag is to die for!

i have been wearing gray a lot lately, so i need to pay extra-close attention to this little section so i can be sure to make it pop. :)

Tina said...

Honestly, you look stunning. And that pop of brighter color on your shoes makes it feel more like "you" I think.

Mali said...

I am totally loving your challenge outfits. They are simply fab!! Where are you pulling the inspiration from again?

Kasmira said...

Mali - this is from the very back of the April 2009 In Style magazine. This portion is entitled "Pump Up Your Volume."

Emily said...

I LOVE this outfit. Seriously. I've been following your blog for awhile now, and this is probably one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

Great outfit. I agree with the person who said the shirt goes great with your hair and skin tone. And count me in as another who's not a fan of pastels. They make me look washed out. Peach - blech.

Audi said...

Even with the pop of color the overall look is still soft. Love that pic from 1984! Your style has evolved a little since then. ;-)

Milly said...

love this look.....i want that bag!

Daer0n said...

This outfit is absolutely gorgeous, you look awesome in it. The shoes are beautiful, i love the color!

tooblonde1 said...

This look is so sophisticated and classy. I adore that bag!! ...and the view from the front porch is lovely too. This is one of your best outfits - you look fantastic!

laniza said...

I think that this is the best way you've worn this grey skirt thus far! I'd be interested in seeing the grey skirt in a poll.

Elene said...

I absolutely love the outfit! It looks like something I would wear to work!!!! <3 <3 <3!

xoxo

jennifer said...

I LOVE this look!

I nominated you for an award on my blog! ;)

Glamour-Och-Fläskpannkaka said...

I love that bag!

hillary said...

Hey some anemics look good. *points to self*

No but I hear you on the grey being fair I think you did it well. I notice I too avoid lilac ....

g-love said...

I must say...you are SPECTACULAR! I love checking back and seeing how well you put your outfits together (love the pics). I especially appreciate the tid bits that you pass along, your thought, suggestions and the reference material (magazines).

You have real bonafide talent and I love your blog. You inspire me to look closer into my wardrobe and think twice when I make a purchase.

Thank you, thank you- keep up the great work!

mad-scientist said...

lovely outfit!
I think even ruby-red pumps will look pretty awesome with that outfit.
Or even powder pink ones!
your fashion sense never goes stale!

Mervat said...

The colours in this outfit are surreal...so unexpected and they look great on you.

The same thing (the neighbours seeing me posing for pics) happened to me recently and it is rather embarrassing! I feel your pain!

*Diane* said...

Gorgeous outfit!! and thanks for the b-day wishes :-)

Candycane said...

I really realy adore this outfit - one of my faves I have seen you wear (and I love pretty much all of them hehe)

John said...

i think you look the best in streamlined skirts. very classy :)

Patt said...

Stunning to say the least!!