Monday, February 01, 2010

Impractical

These shoes were not the most practical purchase. First off, no possible weather condition is appropriate for suede peeptoe heels. (And that’s why I’ve only taken a few steps out of doors wearing them.) Secondly, I can only describe my gait in these as “tottering.” They are my highest of heels, measuring 4.5 inches. Supposedly, the half inch platform makes these more walkable, but I end up tripping more than ever with the extra height under the ball of my foot. Finally, they are the most expensive thing in my closet. But, I love them anyway.

Blouse, F21. Vest, H&M. Skirt, Jones New York Country (thrifted). Brooch, my grandmother. Cuff, swap. Tights, Apostrophe. Shoes, BCBGeneration.

The shoes and tights were the perfect elements to add a bit of frivolity to an otherwise staid outfit.


The brooch was my grandmother’s. My sister Brina was sweet enough to pass it on to me.


This week is “black lace week.” I haven’t done a theme week since October’s Burpello. Themes inspire me and prompt me to try new things. You can see prior theme weeks listed in the sidebar to the right.

17 comments:

Jessa said...

Red shoes are my...obsession? It is so hard to resist them.

Rosie Unknown said...

Walkable or not, those shoes are truly amazing! So is the outfit on a whole.

The Magpie's Daughter said...

I adore the brooch. So sweet that it was your Grandma's too.

Laura said...

I LOVE that shoe and tight combination! so hot

Becky said...

Oh my, your shoes and lace stockings are so sexy! I love how you paired them with a "buttoned-up" look. Hot. :)

Anonymous said...

It's so true. Suede peeptoes MIGHT be wearable in L.A. but anywhere else? Not a chance. Those are so lovely, though, I can't blame you for snapping 'em up.

Julia said...

Themes are awesome. I don't know -- I bet one can wear suede peep-toes in fall or spring. You know, when it's cool, but not freezing. Suede seems a more fall-ish fabric I suppose, but then rules are for chumps, I say! I love this outfit. And I love that you're wearing frivolous shoes.

xx

Emily said...

I've had a few pairs of heels lowered. It's not expensive, and has made several pairs much much more wearable. Any decent shoe repair shop can do this. They can't lower them lots, but that half inch makes a big difference.

Megan G said...

Ohmy love of impractical shoes. Wonderfully artistically designed - with no where to wear them. I rather like how you've paired these though. I adore that skirt

Diana said...

Sometimes it's good to own a few pairs of completely impractical shoes.

Marie said...

Fantastic shoes, tottering or not, and so lovely with the practival plaid.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Beatrice said...

YAY for black lace week! The lace tights together with the red heels gave this outfit just the right pop!

I also say yay for black lace week because I am currently throwing around ideas for how to wear my new lace pencil skirt I got on clearance @ the Banana Republic Factory. I like to play with textures and colors.

Jules said...

I just love that plaid skirt! But the shoes really do standout. It's a fab outfit.

Adele said...

That tartan skirt is still one of my faves. And yes, I agree with the "tottering" thing...I have a pair of 4.5" heel thigh boots which have the same effect...fortunately I only wear them for...ahem...indoor activity shall we say. ;P

Anonymous said...

I love the shoes...they scream "sexy"!

Anonymous said...

I love your shoes and tights.

Londyn said...

Those tights are amazing! of course I still adore those shoes as well...!