Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sweaty Sunday - 7 miles

I had to cut today’s run short. I was scheduled to run 13.1, but stopped after seven miles. A tendon in my right ankle has been achy since my 20 mile run and flared up again today. I decided it was best to give it a break (especially considering I had a matinee performance this afternoon).

Once the dancing started, I was glad I had stopped the run early. Still, hopping and skipping on my right leg was not fun during the show. I sucked it up, though, for our final performance of Annie Get Your Gun.

The mileage shortage shouldn’t affect my preparation for the marathon. After the 20-miler, one of my coaches told me, “You’re trained!” Now I just have to take care of myself for the final two weeks.

Photos by Beefy Muchacho


My Heart Blogged said...

Sorry about your foot. I hope it feels better. Congrats on finishing up your play!
My Heart Blogged

Megan Mae said...

Yowch take it easy on that ankle!

littlenashua said...

Be really careful with that tendon. I ran a marathon in 2007 and had some twinges along the way - I ended up being sidelined with injury for 6 months after. Ice that tendon up to 3x per day every day between now and the race.

C said...

after age 40, tendons get all dry and creaky and take A LONG TIME TO HEAL. wrap it and ice it and all that stuff. Also, tedonitis has no real symptoms except pain. No swelling; no discoloration. No one will think that you have any injury, but you will have weakness and pain. :(

Sheila said...

Yes, you should definitely taper off your training now to let your body recover a bit. The muscles will remember, don't worry! When I did the marathon, I actually did not do any of my long routes for a full week beforehand.

And my personal best on a 10K (1:07) came 6 weeks after I'd had surgery! I've never been able to get close to it again!

I enjoy your training posts. :) It's nice to see that athletic side of you.