Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Space

I sometimes work from home and I used to think that a recliner in the living room was an adequate workspace. If I had to get really serious, I’d move to the dining room table. But it really wasn’t working for me. I grew irritated with the small laptop screen and lack of a proper mouse. I was easily distracted by the tv, Beefy, the mailman, people walking down the street. I had a desk, upstairs, but it was uncomfortable. Until now.


Turtleneck, Gap (swap). Dress, Eddie Bauer (thrifted). Belt, thrifted. Leggings, Danskin. Boots, Blowfish. Earrings, vintage.

Before and after:


The biggest change was moving the desk out from under the slant. I thought the first positioning would be cozy, but it was claustrophobic! The carpet was replaced with laminate and the dining chair with an Ikea work chair.


The only distraction I now have is the cats. They have migrated upstairs with me. They enjoy sleeping on the ottomans, watching birds out the window, IMing my coworkers, and stealing my seat.


Comfy work space and comfy clothes for the win.

16 comments:

Sarah said...

whoa! change of scenery! it looks awesome.

Love the boots! that color is great, goes with black or brown super well.

Isa said...

Nice job! Looks really cosy, and the Asian theme suits the space well. Bravo!

Kat said...

Man, what a cool space! I currently work from my kitchen table, but now I'm jonesing for a little office nook. Well done!

Cate said...

Oh, I LOVE the new space! You have such a wonderful sense of style (but we all knew that already). I must say, though, my favorite part about this room is the fact that I can see three kitties in what appears to be a 3-foot radius.

Sheila said...

What an awesome space! I love the changes you've made. Some are big, like the desk move, but many are subtle, like the different items on the table. Lovely!

Any space with kitties is good (although my little monster Vizzini requires that I keep a squirt gun handy at all times).

Clothes Karma said...

The transformation makes the space look so much warmer and more functional. I have dormers in my computer room too and they are surprisingly not as bad feng shui as I would have thought. It's very cozy.

Clothes Karma

Rose said...

What a great workspace! I hope to have one decked out nicely in the next couple of years. :-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have a cat on my desk 'helping' me right now....

Amber said...

I love that you are still wearing the turtleneck we swapped! Lookin' good as always!

GenkiOriana said...

I love what you did with the space! It looks like a great place to work. Great colors and beautiful cats :)

Unknown said...

Love it, it looks more cozy and warm.
I really like the desk there better as well, plus a lamp :)
Did u re-paint? Or is it just more 'glowy' now?
I think it is the addition of all the cool lamps!
Cats seem to take over any room, don't they?
xXx
Reva

Kasmira said...

The "glowy" is the lighting. I used a flash in the "before" pic.

The Tote Trove said...

What a fabulous workspace! Actually, all the rooms in your house you photograph look magazine-worthy. Also, I think I may have that same Gap turtleneck you're wearing. It's a great staple piece.

Dave said...

That workspace is beautiful! That's just the sort of look I want for my house if I ever get my act together well enough to move back to the States and buy a house. Someday...

Londyn said...

I love it!!!

oopsgirl51 said...

Oh, just a minute the cat is whining to go out...Wow changing a desk and curtains can make a room look that great? Better than House Beautiful!! Kathy H