Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Glam Lumberjack

Tonight, I’ll be at a local style blogger event. Tamia of the Style Sample led the efforts to coordinate the evening. Coincidentally, I applied some of her advice when choosing what to wear.


Jacket, Adrianna Papell. Plaid shirt, Mossimo (thrifted). Dress, Richard Chai for Target. Belt, thrifted. Tights, We Love Colors. Boots, Vince Camuto. Necklace, Macy’s. Watch, Raymond Weil.

She calls it mixing “fabulous and frumpy.” I call it a combination of “high and low” (formality, not price). I’ve got the fabulous/high sequin jacket and the frumpy/low plaid flannel shirt for an attention-grabbing look that doesn’t scream “I tried too hard.”

I wore this to both the blogger event and work. I’m a little uncomfortable wearing either the sequin jacket or the flannel shirt to the office on their own. But combined, they seem to cancel each other out. Positive sequins plus negative flannel = neutral wear. Ah, fashion math.


The final part of the style equation is, as Tamia puts it, FANTASTIC accessories. This necklace and pair of boots are among my favorites.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your positive/negative items philosophy.. it totally works in this outfit! Very pretty :) -Rachel (for the birds)

Ki said...

That jacket is stunning and the plaid does cancel out some of its 'look at me' factor :D

Bernadette said...

now THAT is a combo! honestly, I can't picture anyone else pulling it off like you! you have that quirky knack, sister

Liz (26 and Counting) said...

Still bummed that I missed last night's get together because of class. Silly grad school.

Love the mix of plaid and sequins :)

Anonymous said...

sorry, that looks awful.

Lorena said...

This is totally magazine worthy !
What a marvelous outfit.

Unknown said...

LOVE that jacket! I'm such a magpie when it comes to embellishment on clothing.

The Tote Trove said...

Fashion math! I love it :)

Anonymous said...

I like the colour combo