Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sporty Sunday: Fitness Routine, February 2012

Whenever anyone asks me the details of my fitness routine, I feel like I have to start with, “Well, right now, I’m . . .” My routine is always changing, depending on my goals at the time.

Right now, I’m training for my second, full marathon: Cincinnati’s Flying Pig. I was unhappy with my performance last year, so I’m training with the Run Less, Run Faster method this year. It includes three “key runs” (more on those runs in a later post), cross training, and strength training.

The following is my current routine (more “training” than “maintenance” at the moment):

Monday
- Rowing (30 min) followed by a strength circuit

Tuesday
- Masters swim practice (60 min)
- Track repeats (4 – 6 miles) on a treadmill

Wednesday
- Yoga DVD followed by body-weight strength exercises
- Masters swim practice (90 min)

Thursday
- Tempo run (6 – 10 miles)

Friday
- Rowing (30 min) followed by a strength circuit

Saturday
- Masters swim practice (90 min)

Sunday
- Long run (13 – 20 miles)

The first thing you might notice is that I have no rest day. Because my schedule has to flex with work, social, and theater commitments, I usually drop a workout a week. However, I never drop a run. If I have a conflict with a run, then I shift it a day, replacing a non-running workout. If I’m not feeling well, I take a day off. So, although, I don’t have formal rest days on my schedule, I do rest one or two days per week.

Quite honestly, Tuesdays suck. I get home late from rehearsal on Monday night and have to be up again by 4:30 a.m. the next day to make swim practice. After my lunchtime speed work, I’m pretty pooped. I have to keep my energy up, though, for the rest of the work day and then rehearsal again that night. I don’t take my blog pictures until 10:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, so I might look a little ragged. Thankfully, I can sleep in on Wednesday morning.

So, this is what I’m doing right now. I’ll provide the next fitness routine update after the Pig, when I’m (hopefully) training for the Pike’s Peak half marathon.

Sporty Sunday is a recurring feature in which I share my fitness routine and offer and solicit advice. While this content might seem a little out of place in an outfit diary, a healthy, strong body is the foundation of my wardrobe. I hope to inspire my readers to be fit as well as stylish!

5 comments:

maryeb said...

No wonder you look so fabulous. I agree, exercise and healthy eating are so important to looking and feeling great. It would be foolish of me to worry about how I look on the outside if I didn't take care of the inside.

I'm glad you are going to make this a regular feature. I could certainly use the inspiration, especially on the days I'd rather just be a couch potato.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a really demanding schedule! Thanks for including this feature--it's inspiring!

-Donna

Stefka said...

This is a great addition to your blog! I'm finding it challenging to create a consistent exercise routine, so I get inspired by learning about the commitments that other busy career women are making...I know it comes down to not "finding" the time, but actually making the time, whatever compromises that might involve in other areas of my life. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Good job! I am currently training for my 4th full Marathon this March in LA. Did you ever post a recap of your first marathon?.

Kasmira said...

Anon - this is the post from last year's marathon: http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweaty-sunday-flying-pig-marathon.html