Friday, February 03, 2012

Trends and Classics

Since I’ve been keeping track of my purchases each month (for over two years), I’ve got a much better idea of how much of my outfit is “new” and how much “old” each day. Today, everything I’m wearing was purchased in the last two years, except for the trousers.


Jacket, Allen B. Denim shirt, Old Navy. Denim trousers, Express. Boots, Style & Co (thrifted). Brooch, thrifted. Tassel, Epcot Morocco. Arrowhead pendants, thrifted. Bracelet, Serket Jewelry.

Much of this ensemble was inspired by trends: denim shirts, striped blazers, moto styling, punky jewelry, ethnic accents, western footwear. The trousers, though, are a classic: dark, wide-leg denim. Stacey and Clinton seem to put almost every What Not To Wear participant in a pair. Those two are all about the classics, so I know I can’t go wrong with these trews.


My only complaint with the trousers is that the rise is a little low. I have to watch the hem length of the shirt I pair them with. Otherwise, they’ve served me well since I bought them over four years ago (November, 2007).


Until putting together this recap, I never would have guessed that I’d worn these trousers seventeen times. I seem to wear them in spurts. I’ll forget about them for a few months and then I’ll want to wear them every Friday. I’m thankful this classic is in my closet when I remember to reach for it.

5 comments:

My Own Fairytale said...

Beautiful trousers!

Julie Holmes said...

The trousers are undeniably great...but I'm lovin the tassel! Very flirty, colorful and fun.

Fancy Grancy said...

I always say I hate wearing pants. Maybe I've just never found the perfect ones. Looks like I've got a good reason to go shopping! Love these! Every outfit is stylish and creative!

Melanie said...

I love the flirty little lemon tassle with your striped jacket. You look great, trousers included. It's pretty cool how you have documented your outfits for so long. I like journalling and sketching what I've worn too because it is such a strong recall trigger of the day.

Tara said...

Ah, it was these trousers that brought me to your blog those many years ago when I was trying to advocate for appropriate denim in the workplace. I am so glad you know how to do it right!