Saturday, August 04, 2012

Homemade

When asked to bring a food item to a get-together, I feel compelled to make something myself, rather than grab a bag of chips or a veggie tray from the supermarket. I can be counted on to whip up something fresh and inventive or overwhelmingly decadent. When I entertain at home, it’s even more important to me that I serve food I’ve personally prepared in the kitchen. So, for a visit from our friends this evening, I spent the afternoon preparing basil almonds, gluten-free brownies, and corn salsa. It just tastes so much better when it’s homemade. And my friends are worth the effort.


Shirt, Nolli (thrifted). Dress, Mossimo. Hat, Charming Charlie. Wedges, Lela Rose for Payless. Sunglasses, Target, Earrings, Pangaea. Bracelets, Target and Claire’s.

If I show up to your party with just a bag of chips, you’ll know that either I was really pressed for time or I just don’t like you that much. (Or that I had one of my irresistible cravings for salt and vinegar potato chips.)


5 comments:

Londyn said...

Now we just need those recipes!!

Jeannie said...

I couldn't agree more. I make a mean black bean and corn salsa and I am famous amongst my friends for my innovative salads and homemade salad dressings. Everything tastes better homemade... Except perhaps wine? :)

Angie said...

I hope you'll share the recipe for basil almonds!

Kasmira said...

Angie - here is the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/basil-pesto-almonds/detail.aspx

I omitted the cheese, and added an extra 1/2 tsp salt to compensate. (Cheese is really salty!) They still weren't vegan, due to the 2 egg whites. But I did use eggs from happy chickens.

Lorena said...

Corn salsa?! that's totally new to me.