Friday, August 17, 2012

The Start Line

I’m checked in for the Pikes Peak Ascent! In fact, I’m standing at the start line for the below photos…


Dress, Eddie Bauer (thrifted). Scarf, I don’t remember. Moccasins, Minnetonka. Earrings, Pangaea. Bracelet, thrifted. Rings, gift, vintage, and PuzzrollRings.

I’m looking a little subdued/embarrassed in the pictures because I’m trying to play it cool as the other participants walk past. I’m pretty intimidated by all the mountain men (and women) who will be racing up the peak with me on Saturday!



Photos by Beefy Muchacho Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 35 mm 1:1.8G lens

Here’s a peek at how I’m really feeling about the race:


Yeah, I bought that jacket. Now I have to complete the race or wear it in shame.

4 comments:

C said...

good luck with the altitude, dryness, sun....all that stuff. I know that you are a big training maven, but altitude is tough.

C said...

just checked the web site for your run:

A Journey to the Top and Perhaps Back
The Pikes Peak Ascent® and Pikes Peak Marathon® will redefine what you call running. Sure, they start out like a lot of races on Any Street, USA. But your first left turn will have you turning in the direction of up! During the next 10 miles, as you gain almost 6,000 vertical feet, your legs, lungs, heart and mind will be worn to a ragged nothingness. But it won’t be until the next three miles, with still over 2,000' of vertical to go, that you will realize where the Marathon got its moniker—America’s Ultimate Challenge.

There’s a reason trees don’t bother growing above 12,000' on Pikes Peak. They can’t! Makes one wonder if trees are smarter than runners. Above treeline most runners take 30 minutes or more, some much more, just to cover a mile. What little air remains can’t satisfy the endless stream of zombies hoping only to survive their next step. It’s a death march right out of a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Adding insult to injury it might start to snow!

It’s at this point if you are on the deluxe tour you must turn around and run back down the mountain for the second half of the Marathon. Along the way protruding rocks and roots are waiting to send you crashing to the ground mangling flesh and only temporarily masking the pain of blood filled blisters. Meanwhile, the temperature has often risen by more than 30 degrees since the start of the race. After all, it’s always best to cook raw meat. "

well, I can see why you would not want to pass it up....

Maria said...

Oh My!

That above description sounds like a quote from some Science Fiction novel describing an alien planet for the local E.T. marathoners.

Good luck with the run! I am sure you'll make it in one piece. And please do not forget to survive the whole thing. I am waiting forward to read your next entry.

Londyn said...

Love the jewelry - especially that lovely ring on your left hand ring finger! :)