I should have known better. As I was neutralizing the bleach soaked fabric in a solution of vinegar and water, I thought to myself,
“Huh, I wonder why it’s ok to mix vinegar and bleach but not ammonia and bleach? I guess vinegar is so weak that the acid-base reaction is minimal.”
Wrong. After a few swishes of the bleachy jorts in the vinegar/water mix, my nose, mouth, and lungs began burning. I immediately realized what had happened, but, stubbornly, held my breath to finish the project. The jorts were a success, but I feel pretty stupid. After all, I minored (and nearly double-majored) in chemistry.
My mucous membranes are mostly intact, but I recommend mixing your bleach and vinegar out of doors or not at all.
Jorts, Levi’s (thrifted, shortened, and bleached). Tee, Forever 21. Earrings, Monica D. Necklace, Phai’s House of Jade. Boots, Dan Post.
The house has been aired (I was working in the basement) and all the kitties are safe. In fact, they didn’t seem to notice the noxious fumes at all.
Before and after
Photos by Beefy Muchacho