Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pin Girl

Tonight, I was a pin girl. I manually set the pins for the Glenmore Bowl’s last games. What does a pin setter wear? Why, a tight sweater, shiny skirt, funky leggings, and 3 inch heels, of course. (And hair in a sensible ponytail.)


Sweater, Charlotte Russe. Skirt (actually a dress), American Apparel. Leggings, Allen B. Boots, Style & Co (thrifted). Earrings, Nine West.

Actually, this outfit wasn’t bad for an intensely physical night. All the stretch moved with me. The leggings kept the short skirt modest. The shoes are surprisingly comfortable and rubber soled. (I brought moccasins as back up, but never needed to slip them on.) The only thing I would have changed about the outfit was my knee covering. The thin leggings didn’t save my knees from rug burn. (I spent hours crawling around in the carpeted ball catchers.)


Before The Drama Workshop bought the bowling alley this past fall, the pin setting machines were removed and sold. In order to host one last bowl (and a fund raiser), our group built ball catchers at the end of six lanes and staffed them with volunteers. After each roll, the pin girls would crawl into the ball catcher, reset the pins (as necessary), and send the ball back down the ball return. We used red and green paddles to communicate to the bowlers whether it was safe to hurl the next ball.



We finished the night safely. No one was hit with any balls (although it certainly was terrifying behind the ball catchers!) I made some pin-setting mistakes and more than one ball got stuck in the ball return, but our guests had a great time and we raised money and awareness for The Drama Workshop.

7 comments:

Radhiana said...

love your total look :)

raia-mywardrobe.blogspot.com

Lola said...

What a great pic of you--that last photo--whoo, K, arty and cool and all the other adjectives you'd appreciate, take your pic.

Kasmira said...

Lola - and you can't even tell that I'm sitting on a step covered in ice....BRRR!

Anonymous said...

These photos are adorable. I love those leggins! Work it, girl.

Megan G said...

Those leggings are so cool. I love how all the pieces work together to be funky, but not too outrageous. Sounds like you had a rockin' good time.

Anonymous said...

Good grief, I do not know anyone else who does all the activities that you do! Course, you did tell us not long ago some of the things you do not do & that gives you the time to do the things you do. Do you have time for Beefy? I love to read your blog. You are simply like nobody else I know. I wonder sometimes how long we should keep our clothes as I see where you wear things 5 years old.
I do not work, only go to store & church so do not need many clohes but I still feel like I need to go & buy something new! Just saying!
Erma in Houston,TX

Cee said...

Looking good as usual :)