Thursday, January 12, 2012

Western Girls

In the summer of 1997, I worked at the Mendenhall Glacier, in Juneau, Alaska with ten other college students. Most were from the Midwest or East Coast. Only Melissa and I were from the West Coast. As she was a wee bit nuts (she slept with a wolf pelt, on “long term loan” from the ranger station), it fell upon me to represent the girls of the West coast. I wore loose jeans, lots of fleece, boxy tees, and clunky shoes. It was certainly representative of what all my friends were wearing back in Washington. However, if I think of “western wear,” I think of something a little more like this:


Shirt, Old Navy. Belt, Buckle. Skirt, Hauber Sporting Life (thrifted). Tights, Hue. Boots, Style & Co (thrifted). Bag, D&G knockoff (thrifted). Tassels, Epcot Morocco. Earrings, Epcot Mexico.

Denim shirt, long skirt, cowboy boots…I feel like a page out of the Sundance catalog. I wish I had dressed like this that summer. It wouldn’t have been anything like what my Western friends were wearing, but would have been much more flattering!

8 comments:

Miss Sassypants said...

I love that skirt every time you wear it!

My Own Fairytale said...

Beautiful skirt. the earrings look very good with the skirt.

Megan G said...

That skirt is so fabulous, and I love the ankle cowboy boots. These pieces (well possibly not the skirt) wouldn't look out of place in Nashville.

The Tote Trove said...

Juneau, wow. That's very interesting. As is the part about your boxy wardrobe. I can't believe it! I love these earrings.

Mel.J said...

You know, I really like how that skirt looks hitched up in the first photo, with the stripes on angles (I realise that's to show the shoes). If you can work out a way to wear it like that you should give it a go!

Angie said...

That's a difficult skirt to style but you did a great job yet again.I like how the earrings pick up the colors of skirt.

Unknown said...

love the shirt, love the skirt, love them together!

Fashion Flirt said...

I love that skirt SO MUCH. My mom used to have a full tartan taffeta maxi skirt in super bright green... I wonder if she held onto it, because I would totally wear the heck out of a skirt like that.

Anyways, I love how you've styled the skirt, those boots especially are perfect with it.