Sunday, January 15, 2012

Near Miss: NY & Co Velveteen Dress

I only still have this dress because no one else wanted it. But let’s start the story at the beginning.

I purchased it on New Year’s Eve, 2006. The mall was insane. At New York & Company, I tried a velveteen dress on over my clothes rather than wait in line for a dressing room. That may be why I didn’t notice how low the neckline dipped until I attempted to wear it for the first time. Like the wrap sweater I profiled in December, I didn’t get much use out of the dress until I learned to layer under or over it. (I have a no-cleavage-at-work rule.)


Lisalisa (once an avid reader and prolific commenter), upon viewing the last outfit, suggested that I shorten the dress. I agreed and removed over six inches from the hem.


The final three times I wore the dress, I received some negative comments. I try not to let criticism affect my sartorial tastes, but, this time, they poisoned me on the frock. I stopped wearing it. A few months later, I put it in my swap pile. And it sat. And sat. And sat. No one wanted my dress. No one liked my dress.

But every once in a while, I would sneak it back out and wear it to work.


So, I asked you guys what I should do. And 72% of you said I should keep it. And I’m so glad I listened!


The dress and I thank you for saving our relationship. It’s been a rocky few years, but I think we’ll stay together till the dress falls apart.

8 comments:

Angie said...

I like this dress so much that I even thought of sewing a similar one myself.If I do I'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

I like how you layer it and mix it up. It's a cute dress and shortening it made it much more versatile!

Megan G said...

I love that dress. I'm really glad you never got rid of it. It's too cute, and you've remixed it in so many ways.

Lorena said...

It¡'s a love story....
I am glad it had a happy ending!

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why some people did not like it. It is just beautiful and you have styled it so many different and unique ways. I especially like it once you hemmed it.

The Tote Trove said...

Very cute and funny post! I admit that I wouldn't normally be drawn to this dress (although I think it's pretty, I usually gravitate toward brighter colors) but you've done so many awesome things with it that it's obviously worth keeping! I'm glad you've decided to hang in there until death do you part :)

Chrysta @ LiveAndLoveWork.com said...

I love that dress and if it were my size I would have snatched it up in a swap! Though I must admit I have a penchant for velveteen.

Thanks for the fun post!

tina said...

Who cares what others think? If you like it,that's all that matters!