Thursday, December 11, 2008

LGTMAS: Arty Slick

Jacket and trousers, Forever 21. Sheer tank, Mossimo. Cami (under tank), Charlotte Russe. Lace-up pumps, Isaac Mizrahi for Target. Necklace, Xhilaration. Purse, thrifted.



Super arty slick, huh?

Arty slick means lots of black and details that are a little bit “off” – like asymmetrical hems, oversized collars, and exaggerated proportions. One of the most interesting things about the look is that it doesn’t follow conventional aesthetic standards. Interest has a higher desirability than beauty.

I struggled with this style because I don’t own any thing like the pieces pictured in the book, with the exception of the black trousers. I have no ragged hemmed chiffon tops or industrial inspired jewelry. Finally, the definition page’s description of “a collar with shape or volume” put me in mind of my funny little jacket. Still, I wasn’t sure I was arty slick until I stuck a paintbrush in my hair. Black = Slick. Paintbrush = Arty.

Inspiration from the book:


I have a hard time distinguishing between Arty Slick and Rock and Roll. I think that the Arty Slick individuals are actually grown up Rock and Rollers. At least that is the case of Queen Michelle, of Kingdom of Style, my Arty Slick Lucky Blogger Girl. She just posted her top 10 favorite outfits, so those new to the Kingdom can get a good idea of her Arty Slick style.

7 comments:

Tara said...

This is my favorite look of the week. I have always loved that jacket - especially when you wore it during your Touch of Sun week.

The Cocoa Goddess said...

Love this look - I think you did well for not owning the "right" pieces. You put your own spin on it and isn't that, in the end, what it's all about?

knittingnora said...

This is the winner! Woo hoo...
maybe rockin' roller chic is better... you get to have a snake tattoo...

Sheila said...

Great outfit - very classic, with a bit of an edge, which I think is what arty embodies.

The phrase "arty slick" makes me think of Elvis Costello lyrics (from "Beyond Belief"): "I'm just an artist slick, in a wind-up world with a nervous tick".

KarenMDV said...

I think the necklace adds a lot to the 'arty' part.

H said...

Black and navy beautifully done, chic and classy, lovely.
I myself love pairing navy and black.

Anonymous said...

To me, your look here is more posh eclectic than arty slick - to make it so, the jacket collar would need to be bigger maybe?

Great look on you all the same!

(I discovered I'm arty slick myself after reading the book. I have lots of black, sculptural big jewellery and drapey, asymmetric things.)

All the best, J