Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Jewish Calculator

I whiled away many dull hours in church leafing through My Book of Bible Stories. It was beautifully illustrated and I took note of what each character wore. I thought it such a shame that Jezebel* was thrown out the window to wild dogs wearing the loveliest robes and simply dripping in jewelry. In another story, an Israelite priest (Aaron?) was pictured in his ceremonial garments, wearing something that looked to me like a giant calculator on this chest. I dubbed it the “Jewish calculator.”

It turns out that the ornament’s proper name is “breastplate of the high priest,” but I still think of it as the “Jewish calculator.” In fact, that’s what I exclaimed when I spotted the center necklace at the thrift store. (I've got to take out one column to make it the 12 tribes of Israel. I don't think there were 15.)


Cardigan, Forever 21. Dress (worn as a top), American Apparel. Skirt, Talbot’s. Pumps, Colin Stuart. Nude fishnets, Simply Vera. Bracelets, Epcot Morocco. Jewish calculator necklace and single strand of faux pearls, thrifted. Golden paillette necklace, Body Central. Triple strand faux pearls with medallion, Newport News.



*Actual scanned image from My Book of Bible Stories. As a kid, I also really liked Babylon the Great’s outfit (from Revelation – It’s Grand Climax at hand!). Jezebel and Babylon the Great images courtesy of letslookupandsmile.

20 comments:

Rosie Unknown said...

I love all the green in this outfit!

None said...

Wow, this is a beautiful outfit, and I love that cardigan.

Amy said...

Amazing necklaces <3

Julie said...

I totally had that same book. I think my parents bought it from the Jehovah's Witnesses. The outside was kind of mustard yellow, right? I have NO idea where that book is (but I always loved the picture!).

gina said...

I love the colors in this outfit and all the beads!

miou said...

It's funny how you dubbed the hoshen a calculator - according to some sources it was some kind of an oracle, communicating with the Priest (the gems lit up, and as they symbolized letters and the tribes, they conveyed the message of G-d). I love all the necklaces and the bracelets btw!

The Magpie's Daughter said...

I love Jezebel's necklace! Tee hee. :)

Kasmira said...

Julie - the My Book of Bible Stories is a Jehovah's Witness book. And guess what.....they have it at the Cincinnati public library! I'm checking it out to scan the pics.

CindyinSC said...

I guess Jezebel gave you your love of wearing purple and red together. :)

Kim said...

I'm Jewish, but you know more about the religion than I do - I could teach you how to feel really guilty over everything though if you want. It's not fun.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S a killer necklace pile.

Lini said...

Necklace is gorgeous! and the cardigan, I love!

Sarah said...

I had that book too! Memories come flooding back! I loved that one of Jezebel, and my other favorite was Wise King Solomon (I think? Where he threatens to split the baby in two?). Unfortunately, it's not in our public library.

Raquelita said...

I love the idea of a Jewish Calculator! Those are some awesome necklaces you've got going on!

Anonymous said...

WOW, those books and pictures gave me some memories. I used to be a Jehovah's Witness when i was growing up. Jezebel was totally fashionable.

Londyn said...

LOL - I get it now...! :)

Ella said...

Yes that is a book published by Jehovah's Witnesses. One of my favs!

Heather said...

The necklace is gorgeous -- great find!

Come check out my $100 giveaway for some lovely statement jewelry:

http://underfundedheiress.blogspot.com/

Sabrina said...

Hi,

My first message but I check your blog for inspiration casi everyday but was moved to write to say I can send you a new copy of the book of bible stories if you want.

Thanks for the style inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This skirt is so cute! Looks straight out of Mad Men. Love that look!