Thursday, March 22, 2012

Elegant Millionaire

I felt like a million bucks in this outfit, even though the shirt, dress, and belt cost a total of four bits.


Dress, swap. Shirt (cut from a dress), INC (swap). Belt, Mimi di N (thrifted). Bag, Nicole Lee. Shoes, Colin Stuart. Sunglasses, Xhilaration. Cuff, Target. Bracelets, Epcot Morocco.

The shirt and dress came from last year’s Spring Swap Hop. The “shirt” was a sheath dress, but it was too tight in the hips (and silk does NOT stretch), so I lopped off the bottom. I didn’t finish the hem (the side zipper makes it sort of awkward), so I use it as a layering piece. I don’t mind hacking up free* clothes!

The belt, though, is the real steal. A similar Mimi di N belt retails for $65. I got mine for 50 cents.



As usual, the shoes are the most expensive part of the outfit. I think I paid around $70 for them. But they’ve lasted 8 years and I’ve gotten at 45+ wearings out of them.


If I really were a millionaire, I think I'd continue to buy second-hand clothes for pennies and spend my bucks on footwear.


*I consider clothing from a swap as “free.” I did donate clothing to participate, but I would have sent the lot to the thrift store if the swap event hadn’t been scheduled. The donated items had no value for me.

Photos by Beefy Muchacho with a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 35 mm 1:1.8G lens

9 comments:

Jude said...

I LOVE the pattern mix and color combo! Yes, you do look like a million bucks; yes indeedy.

Marie said...

Love that you would still buy secondhand, me too. I'd buy ridiculously expensive bags instead.
Marie @
Lemondrop ViNtAge

Anonymous said...

I hope this doesn't sound too nitpicky, but two bits is actually 25 cents! I learned this from my Felicity (American Girls) doll, who came with a bit coin, 1/8 of a dollar. It was cut in a wedge, like a piece of pie.

But even at four bits, that belt is still a steal! Terrific print on the "shirt," too.

Kasmira said...

Dammit! I KNEW I should have checked that! Off to make an edit. Thanks for the catch!

Anonymous said...

Love the dress!!! You do look like a million dollars and not cookie cutter like everyone else who shops at the mall!

My Own Fairytale said...

The belt is amazing!

XO Arezu

sarabear said...

I'm really digging the pattern mix on this brown combo - love, love.

Sheila said...

I agree - I would also spend on shoes and thrift or do consignment for everything else.

Love how you made the dress work as a shirt!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

You have to be one of the boldest stylist I follow and I love your color sense. You inspire me to try things I would NEVER have thought of.