Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ballerina

Black wrap sweater, Bloch. Inky blue blouse and cream camellia bracelet, Forever 21. Tartan skirt with tulle trim, Tulle. Black tights, Danskin. Black pumps, Bandolino.



The fashion magazines tell me that one of the spring trends is Ballerina. I’m a frustrated ballerina myself. Frustrated because I didn’t take it up until I was an adult (18), and therefore missed the opportunity to properly develop the strength and flexibility required. I did take classes for the next ten or so years and proudly danced a few recitals en pointe. These shoes have sat idle since we moved to Cincinnati.


Click to enlarge

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO VERY PRISSY!!! I LIKE IT.

Unknown said...

Seriously, how do your feet work in those things? I have always wanted to know!

Anonymous said...

love the blog...
you look so natural in your ballet pictures!

KT said...

I LOVE this outfit! I really, really do!

Kasmira said...

d'rae - it's sort of hard to explain exactly how standing en pointe works. So much of it depends on the relative length of your toes and the flexibility of your arch.

Basically, the hard toe box keeps your toes straight and long so that you can stand on the tip of your toes without the knuckles bending. The shoe's shank (also very hard), supports your arch.

It all gets pretty technical when you discuss and debate different techniques, styles, brands, and feet.

And, yes, it can hurt. Again, much of that depends on the construction of one's foot and the type of shoe and padding used.

Unknown said...

Thanks for explaining it so quickly. It makes much more sense to me now, thank you! My friend used to dance en pointe way back when we were little, and she never would explain it to me or show me how she did it. I remember her telling me that it was a dancers secert and they were to never reveal their secret, or something along that line.

Alexandra said...

Love the camellia bracelet. So cute!

KT said...

Also, check this out if you love shoes!

http://www.shoetube.tv/

Londyn said...

I adore that outfit. You look stunning in that blue. I am also completely jealous as I have always wanted to learn ballet -- is 24 too old to start???

Gervy said...

Gorgeous outfit. I want a skirt like that. I NEED more tulle in my life.