Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Doesn't Go

Black, short-sleeved blazer and sheer green shirt, Forever 21. Yellow silk/cashmere sweater, Moda International. Tartan jumper, All That Jazz (thrifted and embellished by me). Black tights, Danskin. Black patent maryjanes, Xhilaration.

It’s been awhile since I asked my husband for his opinion of one of my outfits. He always has some entertaining comments. This time, he really disliked the yellow sweater (“It doesn’t go”), the jacket’s puffed sleeves, the shirt’s ruffles (“What are you? A pirate?”), and the short hemline. Then he came back to the sweater again, pointing out how the yellow color had nothing to do with the rest of the outfit. For me, that was the whole point.




Do you remember when yellow suddenly became popular last spring? I was sure it was a color I couldn’t wear next to my face. When I finally bought a yellow top, it was a pale shade and a sheer knit. After finding that it didn’t make me look jaundiced, I bought an almost mustard tee (the shoddy one from Charlotte Russe). This sweater is my third yellow top and I’ve decided I look nice in the color. It brings out the green in my eyes. (Or maybe it’s the green top I’m wearing underneath?) It’s funny how we cycle through colors. I wonder if we’ll remember the latter half of the naughts as a yellow period.

Enough serious talk. Time for fun photos and further exhibition of my egomania.



I love myself
I think I’m grand
I go to the movies
And hold my hand
I put my arm around my waist
And when I get fresh
I slap my face

14 comments:

Nemesis said...

I don't know how you do it..you put together things that I would never think about and you pull it off...the theme for the week is green accents!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the poem...

Kasmira said...

Nemesis - you are so close!

Anon - I love that poem,too! But I can't claim to have written it.

Anonymous said...

I did a quick search and it looks like that poem is taken from the old kiddie song, Boom, Boom, Ain't It Great To Be Crazy

Anonymous said...

i usually love your outfits, but this is just a little clownish. way too much going on up top and not nearly enough going on down below. isn't that skirt a little breezy for winter in cincinnati?

Anonymous said...

Anon 1 here....I disagree completely with Anon 2 and with your husband as well. This is a great layered look. I guess I should learn to sign something so that other Anon's aren't mistaken for me :-)

AlEn

bwhite said...

Hi
This one doesn't work for me either - there are just too many necklines IMO.
BW

Anonymous said...

I am a housewife who has started substitute teaching at a middle school. I am having a hard time figuring out what to wear. Compared to the other teachers I am very young, and the students have already noticed this (and the older boys think they can flirt with me). What can I wear that is fun and interesting (befitting my personality and my youth), but still modest and something that will help me be taken seriously?

-Bekster

Alexandra said...

I love the fact that it "doesn't go together" in the traditional sense. It's fresh!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm with your hubby. But I love it that you are unrepentant about it!

Anonymous said...

I like the color clash, but it looks WAY too busy up top! Don't you get hot with all that layering? I think I would end up looking like a snowman!

cathy reed said...

Okay, I'm back, someone posted a comment and for some reason it got to my email. So out of sheer morbid curiosity, here I am. I just detailed to my husband the content of your site. He said I'm mean and "Hey, a whole lotta people WANT to look like a bad advertisment for a cheap Superstore!"
So here it is: You got it somewhat right on the first pic. But please put away the trampy-I-want-to-look 22-years-old-skirt-with-the disgusting-cheap-lace. All I can say about that is that you should either do comedy on SNL. or never wear it again. Ew.
With that said. I will check the next outfit.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with many of the comments and your husband's about the outfit, particularly the skirt. I think the look and the hemline are great.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem! Too many layers though, IMO.