Friday, May 30, 2008

Business Exotic

Collared and cuffed jersey shirt, Forever 21. Waistcoat, H&M. Indian skirt, 4th of July flea market in Longview, WA. Belt, swap. Shoes, Bandolino. Faux feather earrings, Ali’s Boutique. Bag, Apt 9. Ring, Silpada.



Mixing two divergent styles can end up looking too jarring and contrived. Sometimes, though they work just right, each enhancing the other. I like this combination of men’s and ethnic wear. I call it “business exotic.”

I took a few, extra backlit photos, trying to capture the beauty of this skirt. The top layer is a sheer black fabric with embroidery and sequins. The underskirt is a vibrant teal satin. It’s best appreciated in person.

9 comments:

SHOEGAL said...

Love the skirt! You look fantastic!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I love the entire look honey. I'm linking this in my next round of link love

QL girl said...

LOVE the skirt! I find Indian clothes (or Indian inspired) to be so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I think the last time you wore this skirt you were thinking about swapping it out. I was really hoping you wouldn't and am so glad you didn't. It's a gem and you look great in it. I do understand the dilemma though...it's so dressy that it's a a bit of a challenge to pair the right pieces with it so that it's appropriate for daytime. I think it would also look just as great with a regular jacket versus a vest. L

Anonymous said...

i'm of indian heritage so i do find indian clothes pretty. i agree its hard to match the skirt with tops that balance the whole look, but u've done well this time. i like the belt..it matches the gold design on the skirt.. pretty =) i like wearing indian inspired clothes too..but wen i wear them, pple look at me like i'm some village girl wearing indian clothes, but wen other cultures wear them, it becomes fashion. know wat i mean? i've never even been to india, so i hate it wen i get that look. the skirt's really pretty.. and u shdnt exchange it. the clolur's gorgeous =)

angie~*

Anonymous said...

Love the skirt, bet it looks even better in the flesh (so to speak!)

Colleen (UK) xx

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this is gorgeous! You definitely rocked the pairing of the styles. That skirt is AMAZING. Indian fashions are the most beautiful of any, I think. Love it!

Jessica said...

I love this skirt! Heavens, I have a thing for green and turquoise!

Fabulous!

kct said...

You look VERY Sexy in that skirt, and I love those 'model-like' poses!