Monday, June 01, 2015

Sex and Magic

I drive for hours a day, so I tear through audiobooks. Audible recommended The Mists of Avalon and, at 50+ hours, it seemed a bargain for one credit. I read it in 6th grade and dimly remembered it as an Arthurian tale with magic and naughty bits.


Shirt, Romeo & Juliet Couture. Dress, Diane von Furstenberg (consignment). Shoes, Joe’s. Sunglasses, Girlprops. Bag, Merona.


My basic recollection was true . . . but, as a twelve-year-old, the clunky, repeated theme of Christianity = bad and Paganism = good totally went over my head. I also missed the subtheme: men are boring, one-dimensional creatures interested only in fighting, eating, sex, and power. While I’m no Christian and I’m all about feminism, 50 hours and 53 minutes on the subjects is becoming tedious. Give me more magic and naughty bits!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's long, yes, but I always loved the ending! Hopeful, not empty. (Great outfit btw)

Jenna said...

I read this years ago, it was hard going. It was also one of the first books that I actually cried when I got to the ending.

gina said...

Love your new haircut! I'm a huge fan of pixies in general, and this cut looks awesome on you.

sarabear said...

I had to laugh about the book- I read this book about 3x from Middle school through High School, it brought back some memories. When I had a lot of time to read. Thanks!