Friday, October 12, 2007

Tweedy Trapeze

Cropped, black and white tweed jacket, Apostrophe. Red sweater, thrifted. Dark denim, Express (overdyed by me). Ugly black booties, Life Stride. Earrings, Liz Claiborne.

I bought this jacket in early September and the wait to wear it has been KILLING ME. It’s from Sears, which I think has great deals on work wear. I like their Apostrophe line. I bought another Apostrophe jacket last winter and I’ve been pleased with it as well.

You Look Fab has a nice article on wearing trapeze jackets like this. All the styling tips I’ve read have advised a long, lean layer beneath the jacket to balance out the volume and short length. In my opinion, bottoms should also be slim, but I’ve seen boxy jackets styled with full skirts in Lucky (October or November issue). I suspect that only looks good on very thin bodies. If you wear the jacket as outerwear and add gloves, they should reach the sleeves. I thought I’d have a problem adding a neck scarf over the sweater and jacket collars, but a loose wrap was just right.



Woven red scarf, World Market. Black velvet ruched gloves, TJ Maxx.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought to shop in Sears... I guess it reminds me of shopping with my Mom for Graminals(sp?).... it looks like the clothes have improved! I will have to hit that end of the mall this weekend!!

Thanks for the update on your article!

Mary

Anonymous said...

hey...have you heard about the new study on lead levels in lipstick? it's good info: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/10/11/lead_tests_raise_red_flag_for_lipsticks/

I will check mine at home to make sure none are the super toxic lipsticks found by the study. Since I am trying to get pregnant, can't be too cautious!

Anonymous said...

Good tips! I like a lot of the stuff at Sears too, as well as Target, H&M, and Forever 21... but since I am a sz 8 petite, the regular-size clothing items usually cost me more to alter than to buy, so not always worth it. Also, I love the trapeze coats, but since a slimmer look on bottom half goes best with that style, can't make it work for me. Skinny tapered pants don't favor my latina hips/booty!

Anonymous said...

OMG, Kasmira - You are SO stinking cute in that outfit! Cute period!

Meghann E said...

OMG!
I just picked up that same Astopothe jacket at the swap I hosted last night.

It looks so cute on you!

Anonymous said...

Droooooling over your jackets. Love the trapeze shape, especially in the tweedy fabric and agreed on the lean shape beneath.

Also loving that green jacket. Such a rich color!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering, how do you overdye your jeans without completely obscuring the yellow top-stiching? I'd love to darken some of my jeans but I don't want them to look "dyed at home".

Melody said...

OH MY! My jaw literally dropped when I saw this post. I love that jacket! Sears? Wow. It's been a long time since I've been in a Sears. I may have to make a trip there soon.

melissapedsrn said...

Kasmira...you have mentioned several times the jeans you have "overdyed". I would love to try that, as I love the darker denim. Any tips, tricks or advice?
Thanks! Melissa

Gervy said...

The jacket is lovely. Looking forward to future outfits featuring this great piece...

Anonymous said...

Adorable jacket! I love it!

Kasmira said...

I wish I had documented the over-dyeing of my jeans! I actually plan to overdye a skirt this weekend, and will post pictures and a tutorial.

Meg said...

Normally, I don't like trapeze jackets... but I definitely like this one on you. Well done!

Tesla said...

I don't care for trapeze jackets as a rule. But....you look great! Makes me want to try wearing one......

diamondTasha said...

I found your site today and love it! I was searching the web for ideas to wear to a girls night out tonight! I like your style so I looked through a few of your weeks and VOILA here it is my Apostrophe trapeze jacket. I was looking on the web to see if that jacket would look good with a red mock neck sweater and dark denim jeans. You confirmed it for me here with this image! If I rock it as good as you do then I will look awesome tonight!